Guide Me
star_border

SQR - best practice

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

First post in the forum, glad to be part of the community but just to let you know, I am quite new in Adwords Smiley Happy

I am running SQR reports in order to add new Kws/ negative Kws.

I wanted to know if there is a best practice about it like :

- How often do you run SQR ?

- Which timeframe do you set up in order to get accurate data (Last 2 month/Since the last 12 month) ?

- Do you run it on an account / campaign / Ad group level ?

Thanks a lot for you answer to a beginner!

Nicolas

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicolas C
September 2015

Re: SQR - best practice

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Answers inline:

How often do you run SQR: This depends on the size of the account and the kind of negatives you're using. If you're using exact negatives, you'll have to monitor it more frequently. If you're adding negatives/keywords for the first time, you can consider all time data which would be more time consuming but worth going for, the first time. From there on, you can look let the campaign run for a couple of weeks, then pull the report once again for last 14 days to get more insights.

Which timeframe do you set up in order to get accurate data (Last 2 month/Since the last 12 month): Based on how frequently you pull the report. If you've worked on the search terms two weeks back, it wouldn't make sense to look at last 30 days data right? Smiley Happy

Do you run it on an account / campaign / Ad group level: This would be based on the account/campaign structure and ad group theming. I'd suggest campaign level negatives, unless your ad groups are so different that one search term is irrelevant to a specific ad group but worth adding as a keyword in the other. You can go for account level negatives if they wouldn't block keywords in any other campaigns.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hello Nicolas,

welcome to the Adwords Community forums!

- How often do you run SQR ? Depends how many data I can get from each ad group/campaign. Is it something that might provide you with tens/hundreds of search queries after few days? Then check it right away to errorproof your campaign/ad group right from the start. Is it something that generates barely anything? Check it after week.
Depends on the size/reach.

Then again, if you cover the highest searched queries at the start then you will have less work with it later and you can look at search query report every 14 days - 30 days/2 months - again depends how large is your account, how much time you have to get through this report.
Which timeframe do you set up in order to get accurate data (Last 2 month/Since the last 12 month) - depends on how long is it I haven't seen this report. For example if I didn't check SQR for the last 2 monhts, then I will set this exact period. It is good to make some notes about your last SQR checks - Maybe in Google Analytics/Adwords notes into the graph.

Do you run it on an account / campaign / Ad group level ?
never on account level - campaign level always, ad group level for in case of more precize optimization.

Hope this helps. Maybe else somebody will share their strategy about this as well.

Alex
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nicolas,

Glad to see you hereSmiley Happy

- How often do you run SQR ?

- Which timeframe do you set up in order to get accurate data (Last 2 month/Since the last 12 month) ?

It is very hard to tell the exact time range, as it varies from account to account.

If you have an account, which has many SQR with healthy statistics, then you can analyse the SQR after 5-7 days, but if you have don't enough data, you need to wait it for 15-20 days or even more depending on statistics.

- Do you run it on an account / campaign / Ad group level ?

It also depends on the Search Terms, if you think the term is completely irrelevant, then you can add those terms as negative in campaign level or add in shared library.

Or sometimes you get the search term that is not relevant, but you think that it should trigger from some particular AdGroup, then you can add those terms as a negative in AdGroup level.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I would like to reopen this discussion asking to go deeper in details on how exactly do you perform search query report analysis. Le't work out the winning action plan which will save lot's of time and efforts for all of us. 

Here is how I am doing it at this moment: 

• Go to "Keywords" tab "search terms" section, set filter to incude only broad keywords with 0 conversions (or broad and phrase if you are using phrase). 
  • Downloand Search report to excel.  
  • Using "Text to Columns" in excel I am making a list of unique words from search terms. 
  • Then "remove dublicates".
  • Finally I put a mark in next column of each irrelevant word filtering all bad ones in the end and adding them to adwords account. 

There are 2 dissadvantages of such approach:
- I am not taking in consideration assisted conversions;
- After breaking a phrase in separate words, sometimes meaning is lost so I can't evaluate if this word is relevant or not;
But anyway it saves me a lot of time Smiley Happy

@MosheTLV@NehaGupta @Sumanth Sridhar@Rakesh Kumar@Alex Ander maybe you can share your opinion on this point
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency