Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Running 2 Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

What happens if I run Exact and Phrase at the same time?

If someone types in the Exact keyword, will it show exact,

and if they type in anything else, it will show phrase?

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Running 2 Match types

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi spires, what you've said is pretty much the answer.  Adwords always tries to use keywords that are most closely matched to the search term so, as you've said, if the search user types your exact match keyword as a search term, it'll be that term that triggers, if they type anything that matches the phrase, but not the exact, it'll be the phrase that appears.

I should add that this assumes your keywords are running and have appropriate other settings to allow them to display.

There's a whole bunch of stuff about matching keywords here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
What you should indeed watch for, Sometime when a long tail keyword that includes the same keyword as a smaller keyword (both phrase match) Ex. "where to buy brown shoes in USA" and you got also keyword "Brown shoes" as a keyword, it may reflect on the CTR of the smaller keyword.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

It's often useful to bid higher on the exact match, but to also run either a phrase match or modified broad match.  Why? You know what you'll be buying with the exact match bid.  You don't really know what you might be paying for with the other match type, so bid lower.  Also, as you use that secondary match type in conjunction with the primary (exact), you'll identify important keywords via the search term reports.  Add those in as exact matches at higher bids as you find them.  For example, you might have:

[foo bar]  <-- $1 CPC

+foo +bar  <-- $0.50 CPC