2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Rotate indefinitely and the total number of impressions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Let's say I have a display only campaign with ad rotation set to rotate indefinitely. The bidding is target cpa, not sure if that matters or not.

After giving the system enough time to finish learning and collect enough data, let's say I see that in one ad group, among two ads, one ad gets 20k impressions per day, while the other one gets 100k impressions per day.

Since it's set to rotate indefinitely, it means the system tries to enter both ads into an auction equal number of times. And the difference in served impressions is due to one of the ads winning more auctions that the other, due to ad rank. (Am I right in this?)

So this hypothetical ad group is getting 120k impressions across both ads.

Does that mean that if I pause/delete the ad that only gets 20k impressions per day, then the ad group should start getting closer to 200k impressions per day? Since the better ad (now the sole ad in the ad group that was getting 100k impressions while participating in half of  the auctions) would now be entered into all auctions, and assuming I haven't made changes to bids or targeting methods, and assuming the impression share is low enough not to tap it out, shouldn't I see my impressions roughly double in this scenario?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rotate indefinitely and the total number of impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@bcc1357;

I assume from the language of the equation that you are referring to a text ad.

Not necessarily. 

The auction comes before the impression. On display you have "an array" of ads (mostly banners) taking part in the action, among them: a text ad. If it wins, it is shown.  So the answer whether an ad is shown should be looked  at the auction stage, not at  the impression stage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
It doesn't matter if it's text of image or html5 ad. The same applies to all of them.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi,

I recommend you look at the "%served" column in your Ads tab and see the difference in the times the two ads were served. This metric would give you a better picture of the number of impressions you can garner if you were pause on of the ads.

Ideally, if there is just a single ad in your adgroup, it would get served for 100% of the times but your bid and QS play a pivotal role in determining the auctions that you can be a part of.

Lastly, Target CPA would skew your %served metric in favour of the ad copy that is getting you more/better leads as it is trying to record leads at the best CPA possible. I am not exactly sure of what takes place at the backend for a Target CPA campaign but in theory, it does try to record leads at cheapest possible leads.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
%served is the same as number of impressions. It shows only the auctions that were won.
If you have one ad in an ad group and it had any impressions, it would show 100% served.
%served only becomes different from the impressions if you are viewing stats across multiple ad groups or campaigns. Then, %served is calculated across all ad groups that are being shown at that moment.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello BCC1357,

This is a good hypothetical question: if one ad receives 100k impressions and the other ad receives 20k, if the 20k ad is turned of will the other ad get an additional 100k in impressions (assuming same budget spend).

To answer this question additional information is needed: is the budget of this campaign constrained currently or is there money left over? If so, it may likely not generate any more leads with the 2nd ad turned off. If the budget is constrained, it could be because the impressions shut off too early in the day.

Also, keep in mind that just because an ad received a certain level of performance, in this case 100k in impressions, does not mean with 2x the budget that it would have necessarily doubled the impression count as the more budget that is spent, the higher the level of optimization is needed in the account before growth can continue.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,

Nick