4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Rotate Indefinitely - not Working weirdness

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I just got the worst advice from Google Support over the phone so thought I'd come here to check my sanity.

I like to manually analyze my ad performance when i am A/B testing ad messaging. So I ALWAYS set my ad rotation to "Rotate indefinitely"

In this one account 2 of my campaigns seem to be ignoring this setting completely (a 3rd campaign is working as expected). My bidding is set to manual and I don't have enhanced CPC turned on.

As an example in one ad group ad#1 has been shown 10,000 times vs 300 for ad#2

I assumed that something is weird behind the scenes so I call AdWords support to have them take a look under the hood.

They insist it is because I have a core keyword in the headline of one ad and not the other and that Google ignored the "rotate indefinitely" setting when it's algorithms tell it to !?!? That kind of defeats the whole purpose of "rotate indefinitely" What if the ad with the keyword in the headline is the lower performing ad? We'll never know.

So help me out - am I wrong? Have I overlooked some setting somewhere?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rotate Indefinitely - not Working weirdness

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brent,

There's cases of strange things that happen on Adwords indeed.

By any chance, have you tried to set "Rotate Indefinitely" and also re-send your ads for review, as if they are new ads?

This article teachs you how to send your ads for approval again. Just change a thing on it, like a final dot on exclamation point, that should be enough and you'll have the same ads as "new ones" and rotate should work now.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722120?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Brent C,

I'm afraid your contact at Google was wrong. Ads are selected based on your rotation settings. Presence of the keyword in the ad has nothing to do with that selection.

First, are you sure you are comparing ads over a date range when both ads were active?

Second, is this a search or display campaign? In search, ad rotation settings seem to work well, but in a display campaign with text and multiple sizes of image ads, all bets are off as not all ads will be eligible for placement on all sites. You mentioned keywords, this is probably a search campaign, but it could also be a display campaign with keywords targeted.

That's about all I have for you now. I hope one of these fits your situation. If not, post back and I'll see if I can come up with other reasons.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hello leandrofm

Thanks for the idea. I did try it out but no luck. I edited both ads and the one add still is getting 100% of the traffic.

As a lark, I actually did what google rep suggested and changed the headline of ad#2 to match ad#1 to see if that actually fixed it.

if it does, it will boggle my mind as flying in the face of the whole purpose of "rotate indefinitely"

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
hello petebardo

thanks for the reply

Yes both ads have been live since I implemented these new campaigns myself. So any date range I choose will include both ads as active.

And yes this is a Search Network campaign

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

So some initial data is already collecting it does seem that change the title to include the keyword has 'fixed' the situation.

Since I changed the ad a little while ago it is showing 39 Impressions to ad#1 and 28 to ad#2. So not 50/50 but much closer.

So this just blows my mind - this shouldn't happen right?

Can anyone explain why not having the ad groups target keyword in the Headline would cause 'rotate indefinitely' to not work? As i mentioned I am not doing ehanced cpc or optimizing for conversions.

What have I overlooked?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor