AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Rise in impressions for exact keyword

TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently put up a keyword and over the past 4 days it has had 88,000 impressions and 230 clicks. This keyword is very exact and when searched goes straight to the product. So i don't understand why it would get so many impression and even clicks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rise in impressions for exact keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
When you say ythe keyword is very exact - what do you mean?

If you mean that it is set to exact match type then that does perhaps sound like a lot - unless, of course the exact match is something very common...

On the other hand if you mean that the term is exactly what you offer, but the keyword match type is broad, then there's no real surprise...

What is the keyword and what is the match type?

TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The keyword is 7420-1001 which when searched brings up the item intended. The match type was phrase, but then I did change it to exact with no different result.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Do remember that Google's algorithm is always working for you, and that as it finds new opportunities it will do its best to make money by getting clicks. That clicks also means money for you is the beauty of the system - and a better click through rate means cheaper clicks (Google rewards you too, which is why it's so powerful).

You have 200+ clicks. Look into the bigger picture, and focus on who's clicked. There will be some kind of commonality between them - age, geographical areas (for example my best clicks come from working class districts of big cities - quite unexpected, but there you go! I'd expected middle class areas, but no, it was working class. If they like my style, I'm happy to give 'em more of it.)

so think who'd want a 7420-1001 and why. Put those together and you can narrow your targeting significantly.

Another thought: Google your keyword for the first ten pages - and add at least 100 negative keywords to your campaign. That'll help too.

TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the suggestions! Seems I have a long way to go to effectively get my product to the right people.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That may well be so, but you'll learn so much in having done so, that your next campaigns will be much more profitable - and everything you learn can be used to make all your campaigns more effective.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Years ago we used to call this market research and companies would spend thousands of dollars finding out the best way to present their product to market prior to launching the first ad.

The good news today is that even though you may not be fully optimized from the start, you are earning some money from your investment as you work towards that point.

So in truth your glass is half full... Smiley Wink

TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
TPD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there somewhere on the actual google ads program I can find data on who has clicked my ads or must I find means to find out from my actual website?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I use Google Analytics for this, the "Matched Search queries" report together with the "Secondary Dimension" = Visitors/Network Domain , shows interesting data regarding the origin of clicks. They may be many from a company Domain.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It depends how many clicks you're getting. The Google Analytics program is exceptional, see Adrian's excellent comment.

When someone clicks a Google ad, javascript is enabled by default - so if you have a hit counter like Statcounter, it will also record your visitor. You may find their data easier to use, especially early on whilst you're still getting the hang of Analytics - which is a monster of a program (and equally difficult to wield).