Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Reviews gone after Pricegrabber no longer an approved aggregator

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We used to collect our merchant reviews via Pricegrabber.  As they were an approved aggregator, our reviews were showing up as an extension to our google adwords campaigns.  However, sometime this year we noticed that Pricegrabber stopped collecting reviews.  Not sure what happened because we didn't receive any announcement.  Subsequently we found out that they have also stopped being an approved aggregator.  Now our reviews don't show up in our adwords campaigns. 

My question is did we just lose all the reviews collected over the years simply because Pricegrabber is no longer an approved review aggregator?  We had over 3000 reviews.  This is kinda scary because even if we start over with another review aggregator, the same thing could happen again.

Uly

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ulysses C,

Any reviews posted on any third-party site or system will always be subject to change by that party. So, in that respect, you are at their mercy... or policies. 

With the Google AdWords review extension, it pulls the reviews from an approved provider (aggregator) but AdWords does not control the reviews (add, delete, edit, etc.). Any reviews should still be with the third-party (PriceGrabber) but simply not shown with your AdWords campaigns. So they are not lost but also not available for this use.

And yes, if you go with a new provider and they change down the road by not being a approved provider, you could have this happen again.

Sorry for the shake up... that is a lot of reviews.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James,

Thank you for your thought.  That is what I feared, that all the reviews we had are now gone.  Well, not quite gone literally because I could still find the page on pricegrabber, but they have dropped off google search (at least the first few pages that I looked at).

This whole thing feels so unsatisfactory.  For a small retailer like us, reviews are really important especially for our google ad campaigns.   Yet, with one policy change all, all those reviews simply dropped off.   Furthermore, we are at the mercy of these review aggregators.  Because they own our reviews, they could possibly remove all our reviews if we stop paying them their monthly fees.   (Which, at hundred of dollars a month is a bit excessive for the service that they do, ie. collecting reviews.)  So we are their mercy too...

I wish there is a better alternative.  We are looking at the google trusted stores program, but are quite hesitant to go forward because of the need to give out quite a bit of of our customer data to google (browsing data, sales amount, list of what they buy, etc.)  I am not sure if all customers would be thrilled to know that.

I really hope google can do something about this.  With more and more product search and sales happening in amazon and bypassing google, there is a real need to support online retailers. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Ulysses,

Where did you see that PriceGrabber is no longer an approved aggregator? Google still lists them in their list of sources where reviews come from, here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375474?hl=en

Here are some instructions to help you see exactly how many reviews Google is indexing for your domain and where they are coming from: https://stubgroup.com/see-how-many-of-your-seller-ratings-google-has-indexed/

I hope that helps!

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

That's really helpful.  To answer your questions:

It turned out that I was looking at the wrong page (https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6059553?hl=en).  I probably thought that the list of aggregators for product reviews is the same as that for seller ratings. 

But the real reasons I said that our pricegrabber reviews weren't being shown any longer are 1) We weren't getting any new reviews (we checked that the survey link still worked), and 2) Our google review extension also stopped showing up. 

I just checked the link you gave to see the reviews that google shopping indexes and I could still see our pricegrabber reviews (it's showing that we have 300+ in the last 12 months).  So I am not quite sure now.  I will investigate this further and report back if I find anything interesting.

Thanks again!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Ulysses,

It can be pretty confusing sometimes to figure out the difference between Seller Ratings and Product Ratings. Smiley Happy

One other thing: Seller Ratings are also different from Review extensions. You can see if your Seller Ratings are showing with your ads by going to the Ad Extensions tab in your AdWords account and clicking View: Automated extensions. If Seller Ratings are showing, you'll see a line item there showing how many impressions they're getting.

Best,

John