AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Reverting from CPA to enhanced CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm exploring the pros & cons of switching a campaign that has been on Conversion Optimizer CPA bidding for just over a year, back to Enhanced CPC bidding.

The reason is that, over time, the CPAs have gradually crept up, and the return on ad spend is diminishing. I'm wondering if anyone has done this themselves and has any feedback as to the results, for example, whether or not traffic stayed the same, or increased or dropped, along with resulting CPCs and CPAs.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reverting from CPA to enhanced CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Again ROI,

I just left your last post...

Here's my thoughts on this:

If you're unhappy with your CPA's, obviously you need to make a change and take control over your spending/bidding/optimization so you can achieve your targeted CPA's.  The thing about CO is that you state a target CPA so it's a bit odd that it reached a point you were unhappy with, especially after a year.  Was this the same account that was "torn up" by the agency?  Did they have the CO running while you had your great success in June 2012 too?

I would suggest that you need to focus your efforts on what matters most to you and your business. If you want a certain amount of traffic, then go after that, if target CPA's/conversion numbers are your goal then work on that.  Whatever you decide, if CO didn't work for you, definitely get away from it, it's not perfect for every account.  But also realize this is kind of a big change in your account and things will certainly change.  Enhanced CPC is something I have found success with in the past but it is not your only option, you could also try manual bidding too.

Take your time with your changes, from your last post and this one, I fear you're diving into a complete reset/overhaul of your account.  This is fine but please understand that none of these changes are going to magically return your account to it's original state.  It will take time for your changes to take hold and sort themselves out.  

Good luck!

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, same campaign Smiley Happy

The situation since the restore has been this: Traffic is way, way down. The only way to have gotten it back up to decent levels (though still 60% of what it was) has been to raise CPAs. I've gone from 200 conversions/day at $3.20 to 120/day at $5.50. Raising the target CPA was the only way to bring traffic back up; attempting to reduce it really stifles traffic volume.

For now I haven't made any changes - I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before doing anything, that way I won't do anything drastic that will mess things up even further.

Thanks again for your input on this!

Frank

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Frank,

I like your style...gather the info first and make intelligent decisions. 

I would suggest that CO is not helping you right now, that seems clear.  That may be the first change you need to make.  It may not lower your CPA's right away but you will have a little more control over your bids. 

You may still be facing some of those increased costs due to the history issues (lack of history with relaunch) we touched upon. I would say that if everything is down now, get some of your bigger changes in ASAP and 'stop the bleeding' so to speak.  Get a setup bidding/account structure etc...that you're comfortable with and ride it out for a bit, make some tweaks as you go but you have to let things settle down to re-establish your CTR's, which drive many things.  Focus on the big producing keywords and get your spend focused on these KW. 

There are tons of great AdWords minds here, let's see if anyone else can chime in with some alternative ideas for you too.

Cheers!

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem I have is that Google is not working to decrease your CPA, they just take what you offer. With CPC bidding you can work towards decreasing your CPL.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I have to say Frank, despite all the very clever, intelligent, funny and generous people who work on this at Google (that should be enough crawling) I've never found the automatic optimisation tools to be much use.  I've tried many times in the past with Conversion optimisation and Enhanced CPC but each time I just see performance drop.  Maybe I'm not giving it enough time but when you're spending 4 or 5 figures a day on AdWords there's not really much room for "what if" type experiments.

Maybe it's the control freak in me, maybe it's just the particular Accounts I manage (I'm sure someone will be along any minute to say that Conversion optimisation is the best thing since sliced bread) but for me they've been a disappointment.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits