5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting - cookie specifics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I set a retargeting cookie to run for 10 days, and a person comes to that page, gets cookied, and then 5 days later visits that page again, is the 10 days counted from the original visit and then it expires, or is it 10 days after the most recent visit?

I want a visitor to see a specific ad for 10 days after the first time they visit that page. If they visit, get cookied, and then revisit again 5 days later, and are indeed recookied, they would then see the ad another 10 days, meaning the total time they saw the ad was 15 days. Don't want that.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Retargeting - cookie specifics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Classicross,

Welcome to the Community!

Your understanding of remarketing cookies is indeed correct.  From this page:  Understanding membership duration and how to change it

"The visitor's cookie ID is deleted from the list at the end of the duration if there's no activity. If the person visits your site again, the clock is reset for another 30 days or for the duration you've set. The maximum membership duration is 540 days. If someone continuously visits a page, the clock is reset, and the visitor's cookie ID stays on the list."

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Classicross

So let´s see if we can find a way of re-targeting only your new visitors, or at least as many as possible of them, and as few as possible of returning visitors.

a) How big is the proportion of returning visitors?
b) How of often you think returning visitors return (like every day or once a month, in general)
c) is there a specific part of your site that you believe is primarily visited by returning visitors?
d) is there a specific part of your site that you believe is primarily visited by NEW visitors?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Classicross,

David just reminded me of an area which I had intended but failed to touch upon in my last post.

In addition to the questions that David raised, can you elaborate a little on the structure of your AdWords and Remarketing Campaigns?

Do you use separate landing pages for both the AdWords campaigns and also separate landing pages for the Remarketing Campaigns?

Depending on your setup and the questions raised by David, there is potential to use multiple Remarketing lists to exclude some visitors from seeing certain remarketing ads.

Thanks David!

Let us know what you can and we'll see what we can do to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’