AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Residual low keyword quality score penalties.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a software company that ventured into the AdWords world with our first campaign about 2 and half months ago.  It has been a learning experience and have not gotten the results we wished.  We are interviewing a consultant who is recommending  that the best thing to do is start all over and pause all of our campaigns for 45 days. 

We have several campaigns that we have tried and paused.  We are being told that because we have too many low quality score keywords that the best thing to do is start fresh.  Pausing all campaigns and starting fresh even with high quality keywords would be a long and costly enterprise and that the low quality scores would continue to be associated with the Google Account.   We are told that after we pause all campaigns it will be 45 days before the penalties associated with low quality scores would naturally reset themselves. 

We had understood that Google promotes experimentation and that if a keyword was not working for you then you could pause it.  If an ad was not working for you then you could replace it.  We wanted to let the new consultant design a new campaign and get rid of the previous campaigns.  But now we have to wait 45 days before launching a new campaign.

Does this seem right?

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PortalMaster
September 2015

Re: Residual low keyword quality score penalties.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi there, 

In response to your queries: 

1. There is an account level element of quality score, which means that the quality score of your previous campaigns will have some affect on your new campaigns. However, tweaking and experimenting with AdWords campaigns is part and parcel of managing your account so I would not let this aspect stop you experimenting with your new campaigns. 

2. Your entire account will not be 'flagged' as having a low quality score, but your previous campaigns will have some effect on your new campaigns as mentioned above. 

3. If you create new campaigns, they will be affected to an extent by your previous campaigns (this won't be devastating though), but as the new campaigns begin to gather their own performance history this will also have an effect on their performance. So the good performance of this new campaign will help to counterbalance the impact of previous poor campaigns. 

Hope this helps!

A.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello PortalMaster; Welcome;

I was thinking whether to answer or not, and decided to answer shortly, to caution you, first, of making further mistakes.

I might come later and reply in length, or any other member of the community may choose to answer, before I am back.

The bad news: I am "amazed", from what you have been told, and the misconceptions that you have heard. I have heard many misleading "concepts"/ postulates. These are really weird ones...

The Good news : you have decided to ASK FIRST, in the right place.

We will be back with answers

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi PortalMaster,

Well, yes, you will need to get past your prior poor history. But I've never seen anything that said pausing your campaigns for 45 days would reset your account history. What I have heard is that initial QS is based on your account overall history and the past performance of the keywords when used by other advertisers. That QS will become more influenced by the CTR for that keyword within your account, within that campaign and within that AdGroup once the keyword has 1000 or so impressions. Depending on your keyword, product/service and target, that could be one day or it could be several days or even weeks.

I apologize for posing "I don't know" as an answer. I imagine this depends on the length of time that Google analysis to establish an account "quality score". I just can't see that pausing a campaign for 45 days would have a significant impact on your keyword QS. When you restart those campaigns, the QS for your keywords will likely remain unchanged. If you delete the campaigns and add them back in after a period of time, you're still likely to get the quality scores.

I'm hoping a Googler with direct knowledge of this can jump in and either confirm or deny this statement. It's a bit beyond me how this would work.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Not that either of these Gents need backing up and I'm personally not  a big fan of posting "me too" posts here but...ME TOO!

I agree with both Moshe and Pete.  This agency seems to be suggesting some information that is news to, clearly a few of us.

I'm also very interested in hearing more about the validity of these statements too.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Historical Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello PortalMaster;

I am back, and I see that Pete and Tom addressed the questions:

I have a few comments to add. Marked in red

PortalMaster wrote:

. We are told that after we pause all campaigns it will be 45 days before the penalties associated with low quality scores would naturally reset themselves. - As Explained by Pete - this is incorrect!

We had understood that Google promotes experimentation and that if a keyword was not working for you then you could pause it. - This is correct, but needless to say that this is a standard option, not an experiment . Also note: Historical Quality Score of paused keywords does count!

We wanted to let the new consultant design a new campaign and get rid of the previous campaigns. But now we have to wait 45 days before launching a new campaign.- Do you mean by closing the current account and opening a new one? There is no "waiting /suspension period" between launching campaigns. Be aware, not to find yourself targeting the same domain, using 2 different accounts. That's a violation of AdWords Policy /TOS

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Historical Quality Score

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there, 

Just to confirm, there is no automatic reset of quality score after 45 days. Quality score is a measure of your ad's relevancy, so if your relevancy improves over time (with tweaks to keywords, ad text, landing page quality etc.) your quality score should improve as well. This link here explains quality score in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well PortalMaster...it appears you have your answer now...

"Does this seem right?"

Not even remotely right...I would suggest that you seek a second or thrid opinion from some other Certified Agencies, not just consultants, before agreeing to anything. 

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for all of the great advice!

We are happy to pause or delete our existing campaigns - that is not the issues.  It is whether our NEW campaigns will be negatively affected by our old campaigns.

Just so that we can put this to rest, here are our questions with some clarification:

1 - do bad campaigns affect the QS or other campaigns, that are doing good?  If so, then how should we 'experiment' without having a negative impact on our good campaigns?
2 - if our account has mostly bad campaigns, is our entire account flagged with low QS?
3 - if we create NEW campaigns, will their QS be impacted by our previous campaigns (with either good or bad QS)?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PortalMaster
September 2015

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi there, 

In response to your queries: 

1. There is an account level element of quality score, which means that the quality score of your previous campaigns will have some affect on your new campaigns. However, tweaking and experimenting with AdWords campaigns is part and parcel of managing your account so I would not let this aspect stop you experimenting with your new campaigns. 

2. Your entire account will not be 'flagged' as having a low quality score, but your previous campaigns will have some effect on your new campaigns as mentioned above. 

3. If you create new campaigns, they will be affected to an extent by your previous campaigns (this won't be devastating though), but as the new campaigns begin to gather their own performance history this will also have an effect on their performance. So the good performance of this new campaign will help to counterbalance the impact of previous poor campaigns. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much Alys!

We have been floundering with poor AdWord advice/consultants for 6 months.  We are just starting to be cash positive and AdWords are our only marketing, so this is of crucial importance to us.

Just for final clarification and guidance:

1 - there is no value in pausing all campaigns for 45 days

2 - do you suggest we delete our current account and create a new account to overcome the lingerning negative QS?

3 - if we keep our current account, there will be some negative impact of poorly performing campaigns on our new campaigns, but this will not be devastating.  If we pause the old campaigns and start with fresh campaigns how long do you estimate it will take for the lingering effect of the old campaigns to be gone?

4 - can we start on our new campaigns immediately?

Thank you so much again.

Chris