2.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remove low CTR keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Will it make sense to remove low CTR keywords from campaign after say 30 days? Will this improve the overall performance of the campaign?

If yes, how low should CTR be?

Thanks!

D

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Re: Remove low CTR keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dmitry,
Welcome to the community.

The short answer is yes. BUT, the long answer is... it depends.

If you have a low CTR on the keyword but it's producing an ROAS of 1000000%, obviously, it's wise to keep it.

A low CTR will impact the quality score of your entire account over time so if it's not producing any return for you, I personally delete it after a few hundred impressions over a long period of time.

It's really up to you but the good thing is that Quality Score can be seen as a way to determine the value of the keyword in Google's eyes too.

So, to answer your question. Yes, after 30 days is a good benchmark but after x impressions is better. Yes, this will improve the performance of your campaign, especially if you have tight budget restrictions and similar better performing keywords.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dmitry, there is no "good" or "bad" CTR.  CTR is a metric that allows you to measure performance changes over time, i.e. is my CTR increasing or decreasing.  As with all things AdWords, your primary measure should be ROAS (Return on Advertising Spend).  You may have a Keyword with a CTR much lower than others, but which returns a much better ROAS.

Of course, you should always try to improve CTR, but don't look at it on its own.  Measure instead the ROAS and then look at how that could be improved, one element of which could be CTR.

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I am agree with the both answer. But i will say it totally depends. If your keyword is relevant with enough volume then you should work on it to get best ad position.

I am agree if you are ad good place and still your CTR is low then you may delete.

Remove low CTR keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon, your statement make real sense. But I believe there are situations in which keywords outperform due to very less expected click through rate (due to less usage of that keyword by the audience). What's your suggestion in this case? To keep or to remove keywords?