AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing and New Cookie Law

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am starting to put together remarketing campaigns for clients.  How will these be affected by the new 'cookie laws' that are coming to the EU in May 2012.

Does Google have a contingency plan for this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing and New Cookie Law

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Birdandco,

Great Question.

I initially was just going to subscribe to this thread to soak up the knowledge of our EU Adwords wizards.  But after poking around and familiarizing myself with the laws slightly, I feel as if it may not be Google's responsibility.

My (very quick) impression is that an 'obvious' opt-in function must be used.  I get a sense that this responsibility will fall on webmasters and site owners (that are installing the cookies on users computers/browsers) and not on the shoulders of Google. However, Google could also be altering tracking and cookie codes to help resolve the situation.

I also appears that this is going to affect much more than just Adwords remarketing.  Any and all cookie use could be effected. 

Interestingly enough, I found this site, which not only has lots of info about the laws but also has implemented a banner to allow users to opt-in to cookie use. There is also an extensive PDF document linked in this article.

Again, this was a quick look this AM that led me to my conclusions.  I'm very interested to see what others from the EU have to say on this topic.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’