1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing and New Cookie Law

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am starting to put together remarketing campaigns for clients.  How will these be affected by the new 'cookie laws' that are coming to the EU in May 2012.

Does Google have a contingency plan for this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing and New Cookie Law

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Birdandco,

Great Question.

I initially was just going to subscribe to this thread to soak up the knowledge of our EU Adwords wizards.  But after poking around and familiarizing myself with the laws slightly, I feel as if it may not be Google's responsibility.

My (very quick) impression is that an 'obvious' opt-in function must be used.  I get a sense that this responsibility will fall on webmasters and site owners (that are installing the cookies on users computers/browsers) and not on the shoulders of Google. However, Google could also be altering tracking and cookie codes to help resolve the situation.

I also appears that this is going to affect much more than just Adwords remarketing.  Any and all cookie use could be effected. 

Interestingly enough, I found this site, which not only has lots of info about the laws but also has implemented a banner to allow users to opt-in to cookie use. There is also an extensive PDF document linked in this article.

Again, this was a quick look this AM that led me to my conclusions.  I'm very interested to see what others from the EU have to say on this topic.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’