Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing - Who is seeing my adverts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

Wondered if someone could provide me with some clarity over who is seeing my remarketing (image) adverts? I have selected just London as my target audience. Where I require clarity is on the following;

1.) Are my adverts just going to be seen by individuals who have previously been to my site?

OR

2.) Can they also be seen by individuals (just in London) that have shown an interest in similar websites to my own?

I am hoping it is option 2.

Hope this is clear?

Thanks for your help on this

Ben 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing - Who is seeing my adverts?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ben, welcome to the Community.  The answer to your question depends upon a number of settings/choices.

1)  What was the criteria for your Remarketing list?  Is it the "Main List" from AdWords, or something built in Analytics?

2)  When you applied the list, did you specify "Target & Bid" or "Bid only"?

3)  Did you choose any other targeting options, e.g. Keywords, Placements, Interests, etc.?

The most important question is the second.  If you choose "Target & Bid" then your Ads will be limited to people within your Remarketing List.  If you chose "Bid Only", any other forms of targeting can trigger your Ads to display, regardless of if the viewer is in your list.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon
1.) I set this particular campaign up in Adwords
2.) I am not sure (sorry). I have just looked at my 'settings' and under the sub heading 'General' I note the following - 'Display network Only - Remarketing' Explanation of this seems to elude to the fact that only people who have already visited my site are seeing my adverts?
3.) Just targeted 'London' specifically
Thanks again
Ben

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a dilemma of my own regarding this situation , if Richard does not mind me asking :

For his request no. 2 , can "Similar audiences" be used as Remarketing Targeting to achieve that purpose ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Sorry Ben, some more clarification needed.  

Have a look at the help pages here - specifically the notes about "Target & Bid".  From what you've said, I suspect you're just using the "Main List", i.e. everyone who's previously visited your site and the default setting of "Target & Bid", which means your Ads will be shown to anyone in London who has previously visited your site.

If, as Adrian has suggested, you want more than this, you should try adding the "Similar Audiences" option.

Targeting Settings on the Display Network

Reaching Your Audiences

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits