Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Lists for Search Ads - Please Help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All, 

I just want to be clear on something, I inherited an account that just uses Remarketing List for Search Ads, no regular Search Ads without audiences.  Is that the correct way?

The gist of it is there is this:

Campaign New

Campaign Returning

The Campaign New excludes people who have converted with membership duration of 540 days on Display and Search networks.

Campaign Returning includes people who converted in the last with a membership duration for 540 days on Display and Search networks.

Is this efficient to just include Remarketing list for search ads campaigns or should there be regular search campaigns  enabled without list because to my understanding, Remarketing is only for people who PREVIOUSLY been to your website. Does adding the exclusion just eliminate people who have completed a conversion and market to people who haven't made a conversion but been to the website.  My though is, are we marketing to people whos never been to the website because the exclusion exist?

Clearly I am a little confused. Hopefully this makes sense, if not please let me know if you have any questions.

PPCSophie
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Lists for Search Ads - Please Help

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sophie,

It is clearly a unique way of managing an account, and all is going to depend on the circumstances.

If you wanna maintain a vibrant and growing Adwords account, there is so much to add, regular search ads, display, mobile, and what not, so there is lots of room to grow, i suggest you have a look whether they ever had any campaigns running that turned unprofitable, so they pulled the plug on them.

You can check this by looking on all campaings, and by all time, and also, ask the account owner and / or previous management, for they clearly knew what they are setting up, and probably know the reason behind it.

Feel free to check out the official Google help center for more.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I'm not sure I completely understand the way things are set up - but there are some very good reasons to run campaigns that target only RLSA.

Perhaps the most convincing argument is that you can use some very broad keywords.

Since people have already visited your website they are kind of "pre-qualified" so - let's assume you sell first edition books.... your top of funnel keywords would have to be quite specific concentrating on first edition book keywords.

However, if you are targeting only people who have previously visited your website, you might want to advertise to them when they search for "books" - you certainly wouldn't want to be using that as a keyword on your general search campaign as the wastage would be terrible. But you might find that on your RLSA campaign ist drives some really good traffic.

Also - some people get enough "top of funnel" traffic from organic sources, that they can spend their entire budget on remarketing.

There are so many reasons why the accounts many be set up this way that it's hard to know.

Your starting point, again, is going to be to figure out how a visitor gets on to one list or the other.

In general, you should be looking to see how a person gets on to you inclusion list and whether or not they are also going to be on your exclusion list... clearly if the overlap is significant then something is wrong.

-

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for your reply!

To simplify the question:

What I'd really want to know is, if I have a search campaign and I apply an audience to it to EXCLUDE people who have made a purchase on my website and that membership list is 540 days, what is happening in the campaign? Does it excludes people who search my brand term "ppc sophie" who made a purchase is the first part, but does it include new people searching for "ppc sophie". What I really want to know is, does Remarketing List for Search campaigns only apply to the lists that are added to it or in the case that I am asking about, when you add exclusions it excludes just the exclusion but the campaign still applies to the general searchers on Google or rather new people searching on those keywords?

Thank you
PPCSophie

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi PPCSophie,

To answer your questions on how Exclusions works on RLSA campaigns in a plain & simple language, When you exclude a set of audience, you cannot show ads to those users. When you specifically target an audience list in your RLSA campaigns, you are showing ads only to the users who belong to that list and are back on Google searching for products/services related to you.

The whole point of an RLSA campaign is to retarget visitors to your site with enticing offers in order to get them to convert on your site.

I think you should revisit this setup and maybe restructure your campaigns. One thought I would like to share here, I used to run RLSA only campaigns along with Search campaigns in my account and then I shifted the RLSA audience within my search campaigns and I have seen higher CTR's, higher Conv. Rates and Conversions coming from these campaigns. I think you should think about doing something like in your account ( if you can). Let the Normal search campaign populate the Audience lists for you and RLSA part of your campaign will target them.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sophie,

The remarketing list in your account will include all vistors to the particular site, but exclude anyone who made a purchase .

Hope this helps.

Nadine