Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaigns in CPA vs CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Guys! 

Do you prefer to have your Remarketing lists and campaigns in CPA or CPC? I have heard that Target CPA in Remarketing could potentially confuse the algorithm. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? 

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Janet A,

Chances are I would not say that Target CPA in Remarketing could potentially confuse the algorithm. The underlying truth is that most advertisers launch the Target CPA automated bid strategy without having accrued a reasonable amount of conversions in the past, an unavoidable ramification of which is an extended learning period for the algorithm during which quite a few factors might occasionally be unpredictable. 

I, for one, typically prefer using Manual CPC, enabled Enhanced CPC for Remarketing Lists. Would likely change my mind a bit if I had lists with an astronomical number of items.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Lakatos, 

That makes sense because I feel that this is what is happening. To be more specific, I get sporadic, but good results. I'll have a day with conversions, then the next day, the remarketing list won't even fire...it remains dormant. It's like it doesn't know what to do with itself half the time. 

Should I perhaps switch back to CPC until I have accrued an appropriate amount of conversions? How many would you say would be ''appropriate'' for a switch to CPA? 

Thanks in advance! 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Difficult to say, it depends on many factors. As a rule of thumb, I would not consider a switch before I have hundreds of conversions per month via the list.

Lakatos