AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaigns in CPA vs CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Guys! 

Do you prefer to have your Remarketing lists and campaigns in CPA or CPC? I have heard that Target CPA in Remarketing could potentially confuse the algorithm. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? 

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Janet A,

Chances are I would not say that Target CPA in Remarketing could potentially confuse the algorithm. The underlying truth is that most advertisers launch the Target CPA automated bid strategy without having accrued a reasonable amount of conversions in the past, an unavoidable ramification of which is an extended learning period for the algorithm during which quite a few factors might occasionally be unpredictable. 

I, for one, typically prefer using Manual CPC, enabled Enhanced CPC for Remarketing Lists. Would likely change my mind a bit if I had lists with an astronomical number of items.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Lakatos, 

That makes sense because I feel that this is what is happening. To be more specific, I get sporadic, but good results. I'll have a day with conversions, then the next day, the remarketing list won't even fire...it remains dormant. It's like it doesn't know what to do with itself half the time. 

Should I perhaps switch back to CPC until I have accrued an appropriate amount of conversions? How many would you say would be ''appropriate'' for a switch to CPA? 

Thanks in advance! 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Difficult to say, it depends on many factors. As a rule of thumb, I would not consider a switch before I have hundreds of conversions per month via the list.

Lakatos