3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Banner Ad with Products

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After much effort, I've implemented the remarketing tag, have audiences created (product viewers, shopping cart abandoners) so everything looks great and adwords says the info coming from the remarketing tag is all green checkmarks. 

I created 2 ad groups, one targeting product viewers and one targeting shopping cart abandoners. With a max CPC of 2.50 cents to get it rolling. However, I am getting a great number of impressions and no clicks. Has anyone experienced this? It's been a couple weeks like this now and I have thousands of impressions with no clicks at all. 

Note I haven't narrowed down the audience at all except by audience.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Banner Ad with Products

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
No that does not seem normal, Dynamic Remarketing ads typically get high CTR.
Have you been able to test it yourself? If you view a few products on your site and then navigate to a GDN publisher, do you get retargeted? Are the products you see relevant?

Can you share your site with us to so we can help troubleshoot?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the super fast response. I have tried to view a few products and even specified a particular site but did not see my ad come up at all even after refreshing dozens of times. I have tried this site: http://whoisretargeting.me/ and do not see the ads come up either.

The site is www.kathykuohome.com. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Quick Update, I created a new google account, went to the website, then went to whoisretargeting.me and I did see one of the ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay another update. The ad that I was able to get displayed is the most basic ad, and after I paused that ad, I don't see any of the nicer html5/flash ads appear in it's place on the whoisretargeting.me website. Looking at my adwords campaign, It appears that the basic ad is being displayed almost 75% of the time whereas the other 20+ html5/flash ads are displayed the rest of the time. 

From your experience, do the basic ads have a much less CTR and should be switched off?

Capture.PNG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris C
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
This a dynamic text ad and they perform very well, you shouldn't switch them off because they are eligible to appear in many more slots than HTML5 ads.

Have you tried actually clicking on your ad? It seems to me like there is a problem in your destination URLs.
In your Google Merchant Center feed, are you passing destination URLs properly? Are you using adwords_redirect ? Are you including http:// in the URL ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a very good point your brought up. I hadn't thought to check the link because it works for PLA and the merchant center doesn't bring up any errors, but the link DID not include the "http://" I'm updating now and seeing if that makes a difference. I'd test the ad now, but am having problems getting it to show up again. I'll reply with an update with results shortly.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Great, let us know what happens, it can take up to 24hours for new feeds to get ingested by Google Merchant Center and ready to serve for dynamic remarketing ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It actually took less than 16 hours to propagate to adwords. I'm now able to see the ads on whoisretargeting.me and I can click on the ads, and I have other impressions and clicks as well today. Looks like the campaign is finally humming along! It did end up to be the "http://" being missing. Thanks for your help! That was amazing how you zoned in on the likely cause of the problem right away. Now I'm onto facebook retargeting and hoping that is less challenging than this campaign was.