AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would say that I have a very simple remarketing campaign. Almost as simple as it can get. But I still need a ton of lists to make it work. Just wondering if I am missing something very basic... 

So let's say I have a site that sells widgets. I want to remarket to people who haven't converted. I want to remarket differently based on time since they visited my site (3-10 days, 10-30 days, 30-90 days).

Here are the lists I have. It seems a bit excessive. Can I eliminate a step here?

1. All (all visitors of my site) membership duration: 100 days
  2. 0-3 Days (all visitors of my site) membership duration: 3 days
  3. 0-10 Days (all visitors) membership duration: 10 days
  4. 0-30 Days (all visitors) membership duration: 30 days
  5. 0-90 Days (all visitors) membership duration: 90 days
  6. Conversions (anyone visiting a thank-you page all time) membership duration: 100 days
  7. 3-10 Days No Conversions (List 3 - #2 - #6)
  8. 10-30 Days No Conversions (List 4 -#3 - #6)
  9. 30-90 Daoys No Conversions (List 5 - #4 - #6)

So it's pretty much 9 lists when I only *need* 3 of them. Is that normal? And it would only get more complex as I start to remarket more specifically. Just thought maybe I'm missing something or making it more complicated than it is.

Re: Remarketing: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi birchlore,

You might think you've got a simple set up but it's a lot more advanced than a lot of people are using RM for.

Basically you have 6 lists (1-6) and 3 custom combinations (7-9)

You could get rid of (1) as your 90 day list (5) pretty much covers that.

You need (2) to exclude from your 3-10 day non converters

You need (3) to exclude from 10-30 day non converters

You need (4) to exclude from 30-90 day non converters

You need (5) to include people up to 90 days

You need (6) to exclude from all custom combinations

It does look like they can get a bit out of control if you keep adding more lists and combinations but it's the way it works. I have had RM campaigns with over 80 lists and combinations. I found one of the most important things is to make sure you name the lists correctly and as accurately as possible.