2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Relevance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experimenting, I have one keyword. That keyword is in the headline of my ad and is the main topic of the landing page and is repeated several times in different contexts. Adwords is telling me I have a low quality score because my keword/ad/landing page combo is not relevant. I dont see how it could be more relevant. Since it isnt relevant I get a low quality score and the ad doesnt show. Of course at another time of the day, I have a high quality score and all is well. What gives?  Any idea how to get the algorithm to actually "read" the content on the page?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Relevance

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI notanothername

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

With regard to "Any idea how to get the algorithm to actually "read" the content on the page?", I found this-

To make your site more crawl-friendly, don't forget about your robots.txt file. As Matt Cutts explained in a recent blog post, "The robots.txt file is one of the easiest things for a webmaster to make a mistake on.” Your robots.txt file is a sort of note to web crawlers that tells them which pages on your site it may and may not crawl. Having an over-protective robots.txt can limit how many of your pages can be indexed in Google and discovered in the natural search results. With the newest release of Google Sitemaps, you can get a report that shows you Googlebot's view of your robots.txt file. This way, you or your webmaster can find out if you've accidentally blocked Google from crawling parts of your website.

Please see Webmaster tools. I think you may find this useful, it's just a thaught.

May I ask.....why only one keyword? That sounds incredibly restrictive ;-)........

I understand that you are saying that it is the main subject on your landing page but surely there must be some other keywords and/or variations that you can use. Please see the article "how keywords work" as there are some useful tips.

Also, please see "understanding landing page experience", I think you will also find some useful information there.

It is advised to include between 5 - 20 keywords in your ad group (of course you can use more if you wish) and think about variations and plurals etc if you are not using broad match.You can also use the keyword tool for ideas.

I hope this is helpful :-)

Best Regards

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi notanothername

In addition to what Hel_ipe wrote, I'd like to give you couple of supporting tips to try it out:

1. Test different keywords. You might be sure that the one keyword that you have is the most relevant, but unless you can compate it to some other data, you can't be really sure. 

2. Do you use any particular match type? If not, you might want to try it.

3. Do you use negative keywords? If not, include them into your campaign. 

Other great articles from this forum extert users to read:

AdWords Click Through Rates (CTR) - Evaluating and Improving CTR

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores

Why don't you try some of the tips and let us know if you were able to improve your performance.

Best of luck,

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

Thanks for the tips. I will check them all out in the quest for tuning. On the question of why only one keyword. 

When I set up my campaign I had dozens of keywords, many of which were also referencing material on my page. Exact matches. I was getting lousy scores and my ads werent showing. So I decided to do a simple experiment. One Keyword linking to a page that is very relevant. Same low score. Hence my question in this forum.  Ill look at all the suggestions and make corrections, adjustments etc. and report back with results. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by AmyB (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi notanothername,

We get a lot of questions about relevancy in AdWords so I thought I'd throw in some extra info here. The thread below was written by a fellow Googler and talks specifically about the the idea of "relevance":

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Of particular note, the relevance of a keyword is not entirely determined by its presence on the landing page or the number of times it's been mentioned on the landing page. It’s not about how appropriate we find the keyword to the product/landing page but how appropriate the users find it. In other words, the number of users clicking on your ad when they search for that keyword. So it doesn't matter how well your keyword fits with your ad text or landing page if users aren't intrigued enough to follow through and click your ad.

Often times when I see keywords with low relevancy that have received clicks, they are using a broad match type and the majority of traffic has come through on irrelevant broad match variations. You can check this by using the search terms report which shows you exactly what people have searched for before they click. You might find that there are terms here with a good CTR that might be better options as keywords. Alternatively, you may find most of these terms are actually not that suited to your business/service/product, in which case you should pause the keyword altogether and try others as suggested by Zee and Hel-ipe.

Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amy, 

Thanks for your clear and straightforward explanation of Relevance. If I might make an improvement suggestion for adwords, it would be to include a link to this text in the help balloon that pops up when you see that your add is not running because it has been deemed not "Relevant". If I had seen this text on day 1, I probably would have saved myself quite a bit of time and money. As you also said, you get alot of questions about relevance. Why not help us all out by making this information readily available?

If I may editorialize briefly, this points out a very interesting conundrum. As an advertiser we are encouraged to create landing pages which factually and accurately describe our products, using keywords which should then be present in the ad to attract users to the page and finally include the same keywords in our campaign to attract users who are searching with those keywords.  So from an advertisers perspective if I have done all of those things, then my ad should be about as Relevant as it can be.  But as you point out, relevance as experienced by users and even different groups of users can be a very different experience and ultimately not at all related to the relevance intended by the advertiser.  So being on the sharp edge of this process myself I can now see that this is not about inclusion, casting a wide net in order to attract many people who might get interested in  what I have to sell, but rather it is about exclusion, elimination of all the non-relevant users who really aren't looking for and don't care about my product so that all that is left are the few who are.

Thanks again for helping to clear this up for me. 

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Thanks for your feedback notanothername, we'll definitely take this on board. In terms of advertising on search, you're exactly right. You should always try to target people already showing an interest in your product or service through the search terms they are looking for. Often, this means you'll need to experiment with multiple keywords.

Good luck with your account!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the comments. We have also been trying the same thing. We have single very well known product so we just use the keyword of the brand name. and some variations on it. CTR's are about 40%, which is very high. We have a call to action on the page, which get about 30% conversion - also high. The ads are not showing much due to low relevancy, which is odd.