Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Regarding Re-marketing

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,  

How can i improve my Re-marketing campaign's CTR..? What are the best practices..?

My CTR is really very low and some of the post highlighted that Re-marketing campaigns CTR is usually very Good..

I am just puzzled with this. Please help!

Frank

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Regarding Re-marketing

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Build better attractive ads. Test Image ads and the Image Ad Builder. What services / products are you promoting ? What are the results from remarketing so far : impressions / clicks / conversions ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My client provides "Massage Courses" for beginners and courses for advanced massage therapist as well.

Impressions so far...253714

Clicks - 724

CTR - 0.29%

Con per click - 17

Con Many per click - 27

View through conversions - 40

Frank

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, those figures don't look too bad to me.  Display Network Campaigns always have a far lower CTR than Search and sub-1% is far from uncommon.

Are you capping impressions?  If not, it's probably worth trying as you could be impressing upon people who really are never going to convert.  Repeated impressions on the same person could also cause "Ad blindness" where they simply end up ignoring your Ads.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Indeed like Cobnut explained, for not so popular business, CTR under 1% is a usual number.

For more info about how to make a user see only 1 time your ads, read here Frequency Capping

Here's how to set a frequency cap:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab at the top.
  3. Under All online campaigns, click the name of the campaign to be delivered.
  4. Click the Settings tab.
  5. In the "Advanced settings" section, click Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping. Note that the availability of certain settings, like this, may depend on the campaign type you choose. Compare campaign types in detail and learn how you can change yours.
  6. Click Edit next to "Frequency capping."
  7. Enter the number of impressions. The value must be a whole number (such as 100, not 100.5).

There may be business with more attractive products like Computer Tables or discount clothing , that could have high CTR in remarketing.

What you need to focus on, is sending a variate more appealing message through Remarketing Ads.

Have you used only text ads ?

Have you offered them through remarketing Ads special incentives that were not there when they visited the website the first time ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

One of the keys to successful remarketing lies in segmentation.

You mention, for example, that you offer beginners and advanced courses. The generate two lists one for those visitors who viewed information on the advanced courses and one for beginners - you can do this by using the url segmentation.

Then develop a campaign aimed at each segment and send them to a landing page specific to that course. This will almost certainly help. Image ads work much better than text ads - again use colors, logos, images that the visitor will have seen on your site to make the visual link and target them via the segmentation - clearly the message to a beginner will not be the same as to an advanced client...

I also (as Adrian suggests) like to have special offers and incentives on the remarketing landing pages that are not available on the main landing pages... and sometimes even have a "Welcome Back" type of message coupled with a discount or promo code.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am using both Adbanner and text as well with best offers....when it comes to frequency capping i am confused here. Right now i am getting Avg 2000 impressions per day. data provided in my last message was for All time hence it was way too much due to some experiment..so do you still think i should try frequency capping..? my daily impressions are not that much..

Frank

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have 100 visitors that see your UNIQUE AD again and again 20 times in different partner websites, you will see 2000 impr for 100 unique visitors , right ?

But if you use frequency capping to lower the multiple display to 2 or 3 times, you will see 100x2 times = 200 imp per day for the same 100 visitors, and probabily have the same no of clicks and conversions, thus leading to 10 times higher CTR

Place every remarketing promotion in it's own campaign because Frequency capping can be set only at campaign level, and use 1 frequency capping per day. Show them only one promotion per day, not 20 times the same promotion, hunting them in different websites with your Remarketing Machine Gun.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

There's a very thin line between remarketing and cyber stalking!

If you don't cap the frequency then you will quickly annoy your audience and this will produce a negative effect rather then the one you are hoping to achieve. You've doubtless experience this yourself - you visit a page and then for the next few days you see nothing but the same ad everywhere you go - it gets very old very quickly.

Some people set up three or four remarketing camapigns targeting the same lists but with different creative and then they schedule them to run at different times of the day AND cap the frequency to one ad per campaign per visitor - thus if you have five campaigns each target might see up to 5 ads a day from you, but they are all different...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I agree with Steve, segmentation & a process behind remarketing are absolutely crucial.

First of all try to leave everything technical behind and think what you would do if you'd meet your customers several times in real life. How would you approach them? How would your pitch differ from encounter to encounter?

Then try to build these stages digitally. Simple remarketing, as in "I'll show these standard ads to all my previous visitors" is bound to fail. Many internet users will say something like "Really? You again? I know you sell that, I've just visited your website. What's new?".

Remarketing sounds simple as a concept, but executing it properly is not easy at all. There's frequency capping, of course, there's message "layering", and there's "breaks between charges". Sometimes taking a break for a few days and showing the ads after such a break works much better than showing them 1 hour after someone visited your website.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.