2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Regarding Gmail campaign in adwords and exlcusion list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Iam running a Gmail campaign in which only click text ads will appear, I want to use exclusion list so, that only potential and targeted audience see my ads. under exclusion list there are keyword based exclusion, topic based exclusion, interest and re-marketing list based exclusion, category based exclusion types are available. Can anyone please tell me which exclusion type should i use especially for the Gmail campaign in adwords and which exclusion will work better to refine the target audience and avoid getting junk leads. Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Regarding Gmail campaign in adwords and exlcusion list

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sobha ! Welcome to the AdWords Community !

I am just another user like you so all I can share is my personal experience. I found out that gmail uses keywords as targeting so unlike other placements, you can exclude keywords that are not interesting for you like "free" . I think they pick up these keywords from the email subject lines.

Also a restriction that I use is for the "unknown" age segment, and you can refine also other demographic exclusions , for example if you sell only clothing for young women you can exclude men from targeting and segments for older ages.

Another useful restriction is for the location, the "Advanced location" button from the campaign configuration allows you to select an option for users who are in the physical location rather than searching for products from another location and using your location as keyword only.

location-option-advanced.png

Use many ad groups with 3-5 keywords and use both gmail targeting placements mail.google.com and mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center

Depending on what you sell you can also exclude Topics like "Games" ,"Hobbies & Leisure" ,  "Sports" , "Arts & Entertainment".

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

Targeting Gmail is a bit tricky since users get emails in a variety of subjects; (Almost endless...)

My opinion is, that targeting Gmail should be by narrowing the targeting audiences / topics  rather than by exclusion. The way to do this is by  adding keywords.  that "define"   a theme  which will be matched to relevant content  in emails the user gets.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@adrian B, thank you for your suggestions. I have included keywords and age in the exclusion list already. I tried to add restriction for location as you suggested but i unable to locate the "Advanced location" button from the campaign configuration. where can i find campaign configuration and "Advanced location" button?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV, Thank you for your suggestion. iam already using keywords for targeting audiences. But still iam getting a little junk inquiries and i want to refine the campaign. i just want to make the ad show only to the serious buyers so, i wanted to use exclusion for gmail campaign

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sorry for the mistype , as you can see from the previous print-screen the option is entitled "Location options (advanced ) 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is also the possibility to exclude audiences from other campaigns like people who already visited on other campaigns or just people who converted . Read more about it here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en

A quick tip, when an audience is created for the Display campaign it has a 30 days  time-frame for remembering the visitors through a cookie, but you can change it to up to 540 days.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Just be aware that advanced location targeting is a Geo targeting option,  while  audiences targeting  is "people targeting".  Those are different targeting methods;  (Geographically vs. users browsing  preferences / behavior.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’