Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Reducing AVG. CPC with QS 10

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys,

I have a campaign of 320€ per day, with 5 adgroups and an average of 40 keywords per adgroup. All my keywords have QS 10 and my CTR is above 11% in all adgroups. I'm in a niche without competition. Nobody is bidding here.

- CTR above average

- Ad rank above average

- Landing page Experience: average

Stats of today (not finished, GMT +1)

Total - all ad groups: 1,427 8,680 16.44% €0.08 €119.89

Actually my CPC MAX for all adgroups is 0.40€. I tried to reduce the CPC MAX in order to reduce the CPC, but I got the notice "low bid or low quality score". I want to reduce my avg CPC without losing IMP, or losing a few.

The estimated top page bid in almost all keywords is 0.01 - 0.05. So, it means that is possible to pay less than 0.08? How I can do it?

As well, I would like to know why the keywords with more trafic tend to have low CPC? Is good to have keywords in the same adgroup without IMP? Because Actually, my traffic only comes to the 20% of my keywords, but I have them in order to have a good Search Exact match IS.

Thank you very much.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reducing AVG. CPC with QS 10

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello David M,

I would move some of the top performing keywords in their Ad group which I would manage on manual bidding, and simply set manually a lower price every day and follow the impact on impressions / clicks to test for an optimal CPC.

Read here about manual bidding

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2390250?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adrian,

I though about that, but what is the reason behind it? I want to understand why is not good to have keywords in the same adgroup that aren't having IMP but have a 10 QS. I can understand that bad keywords could decrease the CTR of the ads, but why they have to increase the CPC of the keywords that are having a good CTR? The CPC depends on the keywords or in the Ad?

BTW, better I move the keywords without IMP to a copy of adgroup without the top keywords, right?

On the other side, what about the experiments? Do you think that is a good idea?

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Keywords with a good QS and no impressions have absolutely no effect on your overall account score and really won't help reduce your CPC's. There is really no point to keeping them around. Impression share is meaningless unless it produces traffic that converts.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Petebardo,

Thank you for your advise.

When I say NO IMP, I mean keywords with 40 IMP per day with a CTR between 9% - 14%. Do you suggest to keep them or better remove/move? My top keyword in the same adgroup have about 16.000 IMP per week with a CTR of 19%. what you will do in order to reduce the CPC in my conditions?

About reducing the CPC MAX every day, how much every day?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
1 cent every day but no less than the first page bid.

What does the statistics button near the CPC say about lower bids ? It is a small square with an ascending graph line on it.

Anyway you have excelent results already.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the tip.

I'm a little skeptical about the google adwords recommendations. Are you referring to bid simulator? Find attach a screenshot of the bid simulator for the adgroup with more IMP.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s84/sh/76d118cc-f6c2-4f9e-ad7c-45ad1005b3ea/2e370b093aabc6f0c32118c1d...

I tried to follow these tips a few days ago, and adwords noticed me about a low bid or quality ad. So, now I'm a little skeptical.

What you think?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is this a simulation for the entire ad group ? why not simulate only for the top 3 most clicked keywords .

According to the graph , you can Go for the 13 cents directly since it shows only a drop from 603 to 558 clicks for a lot less to pay 40 to 13 cents. If you are not sure just decrease in small steps every week like 20% , this way you will have more statistically significant data.Make the decrease only for the top expensive words not the entire ad group.If you say most keywords are 1-5 cents , why is average cpc 40 cents ? Do the tweaking only on the keywords have the most accumulated cost in the account, for example maybe 1 keyword consumes 10% of the budget.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Adrian B,

If I decrease to 0.13 and I run a keyword analysis, adwords will notice me about low bid or low quality ad. I have to be worry if I see this notice? Or the system will adjust the bid and the notice will be removed?

BTW, find attach an screehot of the bid simulator for my top keyword. I'm paying a lot for my top keyword, but the funny thing is that every day my CPC for this keyword is decreasing. Now I have a CPC of 0.05 with a Max CPC of 1.50.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s84/sh/f5bdde23-18be-4e1d-9e87-4557a065f274/1ccbdda9ccd0f5cbe4f534b8f...

so, if something is working better don't touch it Smiley Happy

I'm overpaying?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You are overpaying. Divide and conquer. Reduce to 50% the bid on the top 3 expensive keywords and run a test for 3 days since traffic will anyway drop by friday. Make a note today on how many clicks you got in the same time interval last week FOR THOSE 3 KW and come back in 3 days to compare data. Decreasing by 50% according to the statistics will have a low impact on your click volume, less than 10%. You have a high CPA Cost Per Aquisition , which means you pay 300% more for an increase of 10% in clicks (13 to 40 cents for an increase of 558 to 603 clicks) , you must reach an optimal CPA.