Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Redesigned website and conversion rate crashed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I have a serious problem at hand with the Adwords campaigns I manage at work. We recently completely redesigned our website, and our conversion rates have hit rock bottom ever since. On our old website, we were doing 20+ conversions a day. On our re-designed website, we are doing 2 conversions/day this week. With the number of current clicks, which have been reduced, we should be getting more like 15 conversions/day. New features include left-side filter search, cleaner URLs, but same-keywords and more organized category structure. What could be causing this problem?

Here are some pieces of information:

- Conversions tanked from 20+/day to ~2/day after going live with new website but same domain name, while click numbers have been reduced about 30%.

- But the click-through-rates don't seem to be abnormal. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the landing pages, which have been updated with the new URLs.

- Many of the campaigns used Conversion Optimizer (CO) on the old website, but I switched everything to Enchanced CPC after seeing the horrid conversion rates.

- I also modified the destination URLs thinking that would help with the poor conversion. They are more specific to their keywords now.

- Keyword quality scores remain the same, or at least mostly very good (bell curve centered around 7-ish) for our best campaigns.

- I briefly exchanged some emails with an Adwords manager, who told me that CO and Adwords adjusting to our new website might be the culprit. I’m scheduled to speak to her on Thursday.

*** An interesting note but not directly related to Adwords campaign:

We've had a customer email us the other day that she couldn't find her hats on the new site. She's been our customer for 5 years. She stated that categorization seemed too broad. There at least two ways to get to a product on our new site. One is through the "main" categorization, which have a tree structure. Another is through one of the few "secondary" categorizations, which have much less categorizations. e.g. you can click on "gender", which will split the products only into men, women, or unisex. There is no more categorization in each of these sub-categories. What you need to do is utilize the filters on the left to narrow down the search result. Filters are available on all pages and there are many attributes to filter, including product type, which basically covers the main categorization, size, color, price, material, etc.

She didn't seem to notice that the filtered navigation allowed her to see what she wanted. Only when I informed her of our "main" categorization, she saw it and found what she wanted. But I admit, the main categorization path is not especially conspicuous compared to its secondary counter parts. Again, this is not directly related to our Adwords campaigns, because our destination URLs already show a specific subcategory or a filtered set of products, but I didn't think it would hurt to include for your reference.

Please chime in. I'm dying to get some feedback and feel free to ask me any questions!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Redesigned website and conversion rate crashed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi LakeTuna,

Welcome!

I have more questions than answers at this point.

1. I hate to ask but did you install the conversion code correctly or at all on the new site? 

2.  Are the old landing pages still live and/or accessible on the web?  You mentioned that you changed the destination URL's.  I would think this would be a requirement if you changed your website around.  Were you possibly referring to Display URL's?

If you can elaborate on your definition of conversion and how you go about tracking them, we may better understand how to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Tom,

1. I believe so. I copied and pasted the tracking code from our Adwords account and added it to the end of our order confirmation page. What are some signs that indicate an incorrectly installed code? I'm seeing all of the stats on our Adwords account, and our orders have been noticeably smaller, as well, from this particular website. 

2. The old pages are redirected to the corresponding new pages, but they are not 301 yet. We had some problem with doing a large number of 301s, so they are simply custom URL rewrites (old-to-new) basically at this time. What I did is this in order:

- Right as the new website was going live (same domain name), I updated the destination URLs to the corresponding pages on our new website.

- Upon seeing the horrid performance for 3-4 days, I refined them to be more keyword-specific, ultilizing our new filtering search feature. I'm not referring to display URLs, just destination URLs.

- Yesterday, I switched every campaign from Conversion Optimizer to Enhanced CPC because I had a feeling that the automated bidding system was confused with our new site. So far today, I'm seeing 3 conversions, so it's doing better than yesterday.

3. For observing conversions, I'm simply look at the Adwords account under Conv (1-per-click), along with Google Analytics. I asked an Adword account manager at Google, and she said the code looks to be installed properly for Adwords, and Analytics codes are simply enabled in Magento (our platform) with a click, so that's working pretty well. Is there another way to track Adwords conversions? I'm not aware beside these two options (Adwords and Analytics).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey,

Ok, just to be clear.  Are you seeing orders that should be tracked as conversions and are not or are you just noticing lower numbers of conversions in general?

If it's the latter part, in combination with your change of website and change away from CO, you may need to let the dust settle a bit before making any judgements.  Those are some significant changes you've made and as all of us know, not every change produces better results immediately.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're experience lower number (very much lower at roughly 20 vs 2) of conversions in general, while other stats, like clicks, click-through-rate, etc., suggest that the conversions should be higher, IF we hadn't changed our website. I'm not seeing any discrepancies at this time, so I think it's the latter of your statement.

You may be right in letting the "dust settle," which is exactly what the advisor suggested, to let the system "adjust" to the new site. That's also why I'm not adding new keywords, so that I don't introduce any constraints.. but is this a common occurance to nose-dive to almost no conversions? I mean, our keywords, destination pages, quality scores are pretty much equal or greater in quality with the new site. I had expected poorer results, but not this dismal. As you would have probably guessed, the owner is not very happy, hah.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you observed the behavior of those failed to convert? Maybe , there is a pattern that at some point, they develop resistant to change since there were no customer updates rolled out with this revamp (applicable for your returning visitors). Well, I based this assumption from your customer's feedback, who is a returning visitor for five years but unable to easily find her hat. It may take some time for customers to familiarize how to complete a query without confusion since now, an additional search filter is introduced.

For the two conversions, are these new customers? You may ask for their feedback to guide you in making sound decisions along the way.For the meantime, watch out for signals. If the conversions continue to drop on the succeeding days but acquiring the same quality and quantity of leads, then you must act accordingly.

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hey,

I think I agree with Tom.. Too much has changed.. Your account needs time to settle.

Getting your campaigns off CO is another major rhing that destabalizes your account. along with resubmission of ads across the account(I believe) to direct users to the new page.

Do you get more repeat customers or new customers? If it is repeat customers.. you need to give them some time to settle in with the new website.

Do you have analytics installed? If you have a significant number os users coming to your site, you could eliminate your doubts with the site not funstioning correctly/not apealing to the audience by analyzing the bounce rates, conversion funnels and time on site for the redesigned website and compare it to the old site.

I suggest you still wait a while before making any decisions/conclusions..

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll be careully monitoring our stats this week, and probably for much longer, since I want to improve our entire campaign eventually. I will update my post with my findings, if I feel like I have anything solid to say. Meanwhile, please feel free to comment further.

We've always had more new customers than repeated customers. From looking at Analytics, it's around 70% before and after.

As for bounce rates.. I think our last provider, who managed our site, didn't have the Analytics tracking code installed properly because it shows numbers between 0.00% to 1.00%.. is that even possible? We switched to Magento, which we entirely manage, and I'm seeing bounce rates at 45% for all of our destination URLs, which I will need to analyze thoroughly to weed out and modify bad ones.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, what kind of URL is "(not set)" under Destination URL in Google Analytics?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Not Set means that the user didn’t come to your site through a keyword. They came to your site directly or through a referral site.

More Power,
Loraine