Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Redesign and Performance issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, everyone,

My name is Ina and I have a question wether anyone else has the same issue..

We did a redesign of two of our websites - one is with new URL and the other one is with redirect 301.

After the "optimization" the clicks and the CTR of the related campaigns crashed.

For the first site - we change all destination URLs and everythibg else remains the same as before.

For the second one - everything reamin as before.

We wonder, if the redesign is the reason of these sudden decrease? It is strange because landing pages now are quicker and more relevant.

Thank you in advance!

Ina

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Redesign and Performance issue

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ina,

The redesign could very well be the reason. On the surface a website will not affect CTR, if you think about it from a logical standpoint. Someone who searches for a particular service/item on google does not see your website,only your ad. Therefore the look of your ad has no impact on that person with regards to clicking your ad.

That being said, your website does affect your ad in various other ways. The one that comes to mind here is QS. What has probably. The new pages have more than likely had an effect on your QS. I would suggest looking into this and see if that is the case.

I would suggest increasing your Max CPC bids for awhile. Changes in QS with regards to destination URL changes usually stabilise pretty quickly. With the increased bids this should happen a bit faster. You have already contained the problem somewhat with a 301 redirect, as this does help the situation but QS does still take a knock.

Good Luck, and let me know how it goes

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ina,

Editing an ad is the same as creating a new ad and removing the old version.

And your edited ad’s performance history is set to zero.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375287?hl=en

One your new ad builds a good history the QS will be improved (as you said the new landing pages are quicker and more relevant).

My 2 Cents

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ina,

In addition to what has been said above, did you notice any downfall from other traffic sources as well? (I am assuming that you are talking here about the website and not dedicated PPC landing pages meant only for PPC)

How's the Bounce Rate, time duration etc....when you redesigned the website?

Apart from the CTR metric, did you notice any drop in sessions from other traffic sources as well?

If your website's metrics showed drop from every source, then you might have to review the design and other parts of the website. That's my understanding here.

How's the Search queries if you compare the old ones with the new ones when you changed the website?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for the answers! You gave me very good advises, I'll try and boast Smiley Happy