AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Receiving Spam Leads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several campaigns running in our company's adwords account. However, we get more "spam" leads than legit ones. The location is targeted to US and Canada, but we get a ton of international fake leads. We also get many people typing in things like "your mom" and other choice words. Is there a way to stop this, or at least minimize it? They're wasting our time and money.

Christine

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Receiving Spam Leads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi chrisine,

First change you keywords match types. If these are in broad then make them at least modified broad match or phrase.

further, if you want the traffic only from your targeting locations then you need to modify your campaign settings.

Go the particular campaign >> settings >> all settings >> Location options (advanced) >>
Target: "People in my targeted location"
Exclude: "People in my excluded location"

These 2 modifications will restrict the irrelevant traffic to a very good extent.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Christine,

I'm obviously not aware of the data you're reviewing but I would also double check the source of these leads. Just receiving a form submission doesn't mean that someone definitely clicked on an ad and then filled out the form. Forms can be submitted by just visiting a site. If the latter is true, it's not costing you money, it's just annoying.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did double check that these leads were coming from actual clicks. They
are showing up as conversions in Adwords and through Hubspot as well (where
the landing page/form were created.) The pages are also blocked in the
robots.txt file, which I understand still doesn't stop people from finding
the URL but should minimize people finding it through search.

None of the keywords are set to broad match. They are all phrase, modified
broad, or exact. I also have an extensive list of negative keywords in
which we've received a ton of irrelevant traffic from in the past. My
locations are set to target people in, or who show interest in, my targeted
location and to exclude people in, or show interest in, my excluded
locations.

Christine

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Christine, based on your own complaint, chances are that your locations are set to the wrong options. You are advised to change those settings as @Archit told you, so that you can eliminate what you call international fake leads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christine,

I would also take a look to see if your campaign are opted into the Google Search Partner network. In the past I've heard of advertisers and experienced problems with the quality of traffic from the partner sites.

Good Luck!