AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Reasons for significant drop in conversion rate?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi 

I am running a few campaign for a client since several months. Conversions went up nicely and August was a very good month. Suddenly in September the conversion rate dropped significantly (30% of what we had before). Not only the AdWords traffic is affected but all the traffic on the site. I have not made any changes to the AdWords account which may explain what happened. Also we have not made any changes to the webpage which would explain the drop in conversion rate. 

Beginning of September I switched over to conversion tracking through Google Analytics and switched back the day after to AdWords tracking. While this could explain that I can't track all AdWords conversions it certainly can not explain why the conversion rate went down for the entire customer flow.

We had a minor drop in our keyword rankings (organic) but we maintain almost the same amount in customer flow and no change in bounce rate. 

Our site gets slower and slower while we are uploading more products. But after some significant speed increase mid September the conversion rate didn't go up. 

My only explanation so far is, that we have more competition in the market with better prices and also maybe a seasonality factor. 

I wonder if you have more possible explanations for such a significant drop in conversion rate without major changes to the marketing campaigns and the website?

Thanks

Aleks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reasons for significant drop in conversion rate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aleks,

It could be a variety of external including seasonality as you mentioned yourself. If you haven't seen a decrease in impressions and clicks along with the conversions however then I doubt seasonality is the reason as the traffic is evidently still there.

If that is the case then I would definitely recommend into analysing your competitors. Review their offers, prices and unique selling points while comparing them against your own. It might not be a case of an increase in total of competitors, it could simply be an existing one offering something good enough to attract conversions away from your client's website for example. 

It is also worth looking into news reports related to your product / service. Filter Google by news and discussions to see if the media has said anything related to what your client is selling.

You need to play detective a bit and check different external sources to see what might be causing the decline in conversions.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Reasons for significant drop in conversion rate?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Scotty

Thanks for your input !

Aleks