3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Get the basics right: One quick step to improve your AdWords CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What happens if you have a poorly performing keyword that is a direct hit on a product or service that you want to promote?

I see constantly and if I read things correctly, it somehow pulls the overall QS of the account down, right?

How do we best use longtail (infrequent impression) type words that get extremely low impressions and CTR but when they convert, it both serves the searcher (they find something they really need and can't find elsewhere) and the client in that it converts?

I have thousands of words like this in my account.  And in no way do I ever want to pause or delete these words.

What do I do?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chewy, a difficult situation, if I understand your question correctly.  As with most things Adwords the answer isn't simple and it's going to require some judgement and analysis on your part and quite a lot of testing.

My primary approach would be to investigate the ROI (return on investment).  While there are lots of numbers and "facts" thrown around about Adwords and what is "good" or "bad", the primary metric that should concern you (and your client) is the ROI.  If you think the campaign is as good as it can get and you're getting a positive ROI, don't sweat so much over a poor CTR figure.  Bear in mind specifically that Quality Score (QS) is based at least in part upon the performance of other advertisers, it may be that for some keywords 4/10 is actually a good score - not all keywords can necessarily be 10/10.

It is, of course, very hard to judge the "pulling down" effect, though you're correct that it exists.  I think it's important to look at the overall picture - and not get obsessed with detail.  This is something I've seen time and time again with clients (and mostly ex- clients!).  They insist upon one or more keywords being included because they feel they're essential when in fact they dim into meaningless compared to others.  For example, if you had just two keywords "one" and "two", and "one" brought you in $20,000 a month in sales while "two" brought you only $8, and had appalling performance figures, how long would you think about keeping keyword "two"?

You say you've got "thousands" of these long-tail keywords.  Unless we're talking about a large product db here (such as CDs, DVDs, etc.) I doubt all of these perform on an equal basis.  There are bound to be some - possibly quite a small number - who account for most of the activity on the account.  I know you're concerned about "catching" all the possible searches and getting a good result, but bear in mind most searchers don't just type one thing and then walk away.  It's quite possible they will try a good range of search terms before they find what they want so it's possible you could get away with some more generic (although still decently focused) terms that are a larger "net".

Sorry if this all sounds a bit like a ramble but it's hard to give precise advise without seeing the site or knowing more about the business.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remaking a new campaign with the most relevant keywords. Never go out of place, for example, if the ad is sponsored shoes, do not put the keyword pants, because it makes no sense, but rather put the keyword clothingSmiley Wink