Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Confused re Quality Score despite high CTR etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am also disappointed with the way Adwords score the Ads. I have had a lot of high-conversion keywords (with a three month history). I have optimized the Ads and the CTR keep increasing but the QS decreasing significantly, eventhough I paid double the price within 2 months and used the Exact and Phrase Match. Now an Ad group with more than 20% CTR has been disappeared from the search engine. It's so funny!

The policy of rating keyword is ambiguous and unfair.

Drop me message if you want to keep in touch: https://plus.google.com/107730070405537537276

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Two things to know about QS.

One, bid or actual CPC have absolutely no correlation with QS.

Two, and most important, is knowing how Google calculates QS. I hate to be technical but this is the only way to explain it. As far as I can determine, QS is a standard deviation calculation based on CTR. This means that an average CTR is calculated of all those using the same keyword and a standard deviation also calculated. If you want to know more about SD, look it up in Wiki. Also important to note is that this is normalized by position as obviously, CTRs are different in different positions.

So if the historical CTR is 5% and the SD is 0.5, your QS is 5 (set as the average) if your CTR is 5%. It will be 6 (one SD higher) if your CTR is 5.5%, 7 if 6.0% and so on.

You can have any QS for any CTR because you a) don't know the historical average nor b) the SD. There is also the relevancy portion of QS which is about 25% of the total score. If you are not relevant, the maximum QS you could get is 7, even if you have the best ads ever.

So the best (only) way to increase QS is create ads that get higher CTRs. It is a fair system and one that benefits all parties involved: the searchers, you and Google.

Hard to tell if you are doing the right thing but sounds like it is. Just a few things I'd point out.

You should have no more than two active ads at a time, three at most for highly searched terms. Sounds like you might have lots of active ads per group which really doesn't help.

Don't add every keyword that the system suggests. You need to use tightly relevant keywords and you are in the best position to decide if suggested keywords are relevant or not, not an algorythm.

Don't dismiss the broad match type, specifically the broad match modified type. It can be useful as a catch-all and gather data on how people search on your terms. You may be surprised. Agree with you about negatives but sometimes you need them, even for phrase matches. But if you are specific with keywords, you won't need as many negatives.

When you say you optimize ads, I assume you mean created new ads. The way to do this is pause the less performing (lower CTR) ad and replace with another. As said, only have two ads active at once per group. Also, you should wait until each ad has at least 15-25 clicks before deciding which is the lesser performer. Any less clicks and there's a higher chance the better performer is not the ad you think in the long run.

Any change can affect the QS dramatically: adding/removing keywords including negatives and changing ads. It can also seem to change a lot as you notice for new campaigns. The system needs data and low search volume keywords will take longer before things seem to stabilize.

The key are the ads, assuming keywords are relevant.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Etienganh,

If you'd like to discuss further please stop back and ask a question or two.  Perhaps you could explain your account in more detail, perhaps we could help you understand what is happening?

We're here to help if you'd like some assistance.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is impact on conversion rates ? The CTR might be high but if the drop off rate from the Landing Page is also high then the Quality Score is hugely impacted & drops down significantly. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply. What I have done like this:

• Step 1: Create as many Ads group/Ads message and possible and choose all of the suggested keywords in the first month. Integrate the tracking code and make sure what keywords/ landing page benefit the most.
  • Step 2: Copy all off the over-performance keywords to another campaigns, categoried them according to the ads message and keywords. Pause all of the poor performace Campaign/Ads group/ Ads/ Keywords.
  • Step 3: Select the Exact Match and Phrase Match only (I do not like to use negative keywords, it's a very lazy way). Increase the CPC cap by 50%.

I have kept optimized my Ads like this and what happen?

• Stage 1: My ads start with 7/10 QS from the CPC cap A, then increase to 8-10 when I did Step 2. The CTR was from 1-2% jumped up to 4%-7%. Then Adwords pause my account, said for security checking purpose. 2 days passed and they let me went on with ads again. Imagine? All of my keyword QS went down significantly (5-6) or CPC caps were required much higher (the keywords with QS 9-10 could not be appear because of lacking bids).
  • Stage 2: I still persisted on my way optimizing my ads. The keywords QS had been back to 9/10 when I paid 50% higher. My CTR has kept growing to 10%-20%, then my account was paused again for the same reason (No more than 2 months. What the f***! Why my account within a very shorttime?). Luckily, the QS did not decrease, but the floor bids increase again. Then, I must pay 50% higher to stay in the first page.

Comment?

• I may be wrong but I was really upset, especially why my account was paused twice within a very shorttime and why the ads with more than 20% CTR, CPC cap pretty sure on the average but can not be appear in the result page.
  • I feel so lucky that I have an Adwords supporting staff who has helped me during this period. Well! very lucky. I highly appreciate it.

Question?

• Yes, but I am going to take some screenshot and show you later.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This is a very basic question. Just integrate your Adwords account with your Analytics and you are able to manage all things.

CTR is impacted by: Ads message, Ads position, Ads appearance (with Sitelinks, map, phone, Google Plus etc). You must know which are your highest performance keywords. Just select them from the pool Google give you, oversee and extract them out again. Then, when you go on the game CTR, you already know what you are doing is the best of the best.

Drop me a message if you need my help.

Good luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Just one to supplement that my bounce rate is lower than 42% and my pageview per visit higher than 4.

I have nothing to do with the relevency of my ads/landing page to end-users.

Cheers 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Two things to know about QS.

One, bid or actual CPC have absolutely no correlation with QS.

Two, and most important, is knowing how Google calculates QS. I hate to be technical but this is the only way to explain it. As far as I can determine, QS is a standard deviation calculation based on CTR. This means that an average CTR is calculated of all those using the same keyword and a standard deviation also calculated. If you want to know more about SD, look it up in Wiki. Also important to note is that this is normalized by position as obviously, CTRs are different in different positions.

So if the historical CTR is 5% and the SD is 0.5, your QS is 5 (set as the average) if your CTR is 5%. It will be 6 (one SD higher) if your CTR is 5.5%, 7 if 6.0% and so on.

You can have any QS for any CTR because you a) don't know the historical average nor b) the SD. There is also the relevancy portion of QS which is about 25% of the total score. If you are not relevant, the maximum QS you could get is 7, even if you have the best ads ever.

So the best (only) way to increase QS is create ads that get higher CTRs. It is a fair system and one that benefits all parties involved: the searchers, you and Google.

Hard to tell if you are doing the right thing but sounds like it is. Just a few things I'd point out.

You should have no more than two active ads at a time, three at most for highly searched terms. Sounds like you might have lots of active ads per group which really doesn't help.

Don't add every keyword that the system suggests. You need to use tightly relevant keywords and you are in the best position to decide if suggested keywords are relevant or not, not an algorythm.

Don't dismiss the broad match type, specifically the broad match modified type. It can be useful as a catch-all and gather data on how people search on your terms. You may be surprised. Agree with you about negatives but sometimes you need them, even for phrase matches. But if you are specific with keywords, you won't need as many negatives.

When you say you optimize ads, I assume you mean created new ads. The way to do this is pause the less performing (lower CTR) ad and replace with another. As said, only have two ads active at once per group. Also, you should wait until each ad has at least 15-25 clicks before deciding which is the lesser performer. Any less clicks and there's a higher chance the better performer is not the ad you think in the long run.

Any change can affect the QS dramatically: adding/removing keywords including negatives and changing ads. It can also seem to change a lot as you notice for new campaigns. The system needs data and low search volume keywords will take longer before things seem to stabilize.

The key are the ads, assuming keywords are relevant.