AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Radius Targeting - Starting a certain number of miles out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'd like to avoid targeting the initial five miles from an address, instead I'd like the targeting to start five miles out. Is that possible?

At first I was thinking I'd exclude the first five miles and include the first 20 miles thinking that would work to start targeting five miles out and then include the next fifteen miles. However, I've learned exclusions can't be radius targeted. 

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Radius Targeting - Starting a certain number of miles out.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Allan,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Radius Targeting can't be used for exclusion. You will either need to include your targets individually or to exclude them individually from the radius. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Allan L
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Allan,

you can do a little trick. Create 5mi radius target, then in Locations tab set bid adjuster to this 5mi target for -90%. That pretty much will take care of excluding clicks from 5mi radius.

Then create your 20mi radius. Should work fine.

Hope this helps,
D

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying. I'll try that trick out Dmitry.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Allan L while @Dmitry P's suggestion is a good one, I should point out that 5 miles is a very small radius to try and target, either positively or negatively.  AdWords is likely to have some difficulty being that precise.

Can you share some more details of why you need this exclusion?  I can't make any promises but we may be able to think of alternative/additional solutions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

We mainly cater to a consumer base that is located within 5 miles of each of our brick-and-mortar locations. We'd like to target a radius of about 20 miles out to reach some new people but avoid reaching our current audience.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Allan L I usually advise against excluding current customers.  AdWords is very rarely successful only as a "one click, one sale" system; all advertising not only serves those customers who are at the point of buying, but also as a branding and awareness tool and there are almost always more reasons to continue showing your Ads to previous customers than there are good reasons not to show them.

People click Ads because they're interested in the product or service and having already visited your high street store and/or been a previous customer doesn't necessarily reduce that interest or mean their relationship with your business is at an end.  If someone within 5 miles, who's previously visited your store clicks your Ad, that's going to cost you your CPC, granted, but why are they clicking that Ad?  If you don't show it to them you'll never know and relying upon organic results or other means of reaching you is putting the onus on the customer to work to find you, which is probably not financially worth the risk for the cost of a single click.

Consider also that if you don't advertise, that doesn't mean your competitors will not.  I may have visited your store and browsed, then gone home to consider the purchase.  If I search a week or so later and don't find you, but see a great Ad from your competitor, your store may have done the sales work for them.

There are some tools in AdWords that can help you see how your customers behave.  Take a look at the Path Length and Time Lag reports under Attribution within the Conversion screen:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023

and even if these show the vast majority of your conversions are one-click before a sale, I'd urge you to monitor any experiment with excluding local customers very closely to ensure you don't actually reduce your sales.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your input Jon. With more details you would understand why we plan to do what we plan to do.