Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ROAS Bidding Strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm currently running ROAS bidding strategy for a Shopping Campaign.  Performance has definitely improved since implementing and we are happy with results.  But I was wondering... If we wanted to make some manual optimizations ourselves like upbid on specific Item ID's or set a location bid modifier will the ROAS bid strategy override our manual optimizations?  If not, can this potentially disrupt the ROAS algorithm?

appreciate any insight!

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monica J
July 2016

Re: ROAS Bidding Strategy

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Monica,

Bid adjustments, like location bid modifiers, are ignored in the ROAS bidding strategy. You will also have the inability to manually adjust product group bids.

If you want to make manual bid adjustments such as bidding up on certain products you would need to put these products in their own campaign with a different bidding strategy. Either use manual CPC or a lower ROAS target than in your current campaign.

Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Totally Agreed with Jim.

As “Target ROAS” helps optimise your bids based on real-time data(device, browser, location, and time of day, Remarketing list), your existing bid adjustments are not used. There is one exception: You can still set mobile bid adjustments of -100%. Note that you don’t need to remove bid adjustments—they just won’t be used.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Monica J as @JimVaillancourt has said, to control certain item ids manually you'll need to have these in a separate Campaign or Group, though I'd recommend using an entirely separate Campaign.

Shopping Campaigns have a neat feature that allows you to do this without necessarily removing these Ids from the other Campaign (it can be a pain making sure your items are only running Ads from one place).  Create a new Campaign and give it a descriptive name like "manual" so you know this is where you'll put your special ids.  Adjust the settings to match the other Campaign but under Shopping Settings - Advanced, set the priority to "High".  Change the other Campaign to be either "Medium" or "Low".

Now you can add your special item ids to the manual Campaign, and regardless of whether the item also appears in the original Campaign, the new manual Campaign will always win the auction, so you can add and remove item ids from this Campaign at will, without worrying about removing them from the other.

Make sure you see "Everything else" to excluded in this new Campaign!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Jon_Gritton and @JimVailancourt .

Thank you for your responses. This is very helpful!

Just to expand on the question... what about negative keywords for Shopping Campaign with ROAS bidding strategy? Will google override any negatives that I add to the campaign? or even the ones that are already there before implementing ROAS?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Negative keywords will still work, including ones added after launch!
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.