Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA Hierarchy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking to find out how Google determine which RLSA audience a user falls into when they're included in multiple, overlapping audiences and therefore which bid adjustment will take affect as a result of this?

For Example: 

A user has visited "page A" and has also visited "page B". If I apply these two audiences to my Ad Group and apply a +20% bid adjustment to the "page A" audience and then a +50% bid adjustment to the "page B" audience, which bid adjustment would take effect? Is there a priority order to which you add these? Or does Google decide which one is most relevant depending on a number of variations, such as the search query? Or does Google just use the highest bid adjustment as they'd assume that this one is more important? 

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: RLSA Hierarchy

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It will be decided based on some factors like bid, CTR (if you use cpc bid), ad relevance, etc.. but bid is a prominent factor here - in your case probably you only get impressions for audience A for users that have not visited page B - if a user visits both page A and B, probably it will all go for audience B (due bid +50% compared to lower +20%).

In case of different ad groups (and ads) the same occurs if you use CPM bids - the greater CPM will get almost all traffic for users on overlapping audiences - if you use cpc bid and different Ads, it will depende on the average CTR as calculation will be based on cpc x CTR instead of CPM.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Perry R

Not sure I fully understand the scenario. The bid adjustment (unless you change the bid at the keyword level, or at  the ad-group) is applied to the campaign level.
In the case of RLSA, the standard auction algorithm applies: the keyword with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad. The one additional restriction is that the group of users to whom the ad might be shown (if wins a slot in the auction)  is limited to those visited your site and continue to search about the theme of the site (i.e. run a search on Google,  and a query is matched to a KW in the RLSA campaign.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
now I've figured out you are talking about RSLA - forget my answer as I thought you were talking about display remarketing.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi,
Regardless of CTR, relevancy or simply QS; the audience list with +50% bid adjustment should get preference.
Considering it other way, again regardless of the QS(all factors contributing QS); if you bid high then AdWords will try to show your ads on top positions instead of showing at bottom for the similar keyword with lower bid.
So bids, or bid adjustment will contribute the ad rank and preference will be given to high ad rank.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’