4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quick question regarding generic keywords

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor
I have a client asking me to identify the most popular search terms being used in their locality. where this may or not be possible using a combination of Google Trends and the keyword planner - I am wondering about the way in which Google will treat this approach. I understand that piggybacking on a local news story, for example, would be a way of getting a lot of impressions - and I appreciate that since these keywords will have nothing to do with my client's business (they are a restaurant) the QS will be low and that might mean that the ads simply will not trigger, my question is whether or not Google might penalise the client in some way for this lack of relevance. On the one hand I think that it surely doesn't matter what serach terms we would want to trigger our ads - and on the other, I wonder about the "gaining an unfair advantage" by trying to play the system in this way. The client is a returning advertiser - we have recently launched these campaigns - but he advertised some years back for a real estate company and from what he tells me, they threw a lot of mud at the AdWords wall in the hope that some would stick - and it did. But I am concerned that things have changed in such a way that this approach is no longer sound. I actually don't expect the approach to work - but giving nothing is not the same a causing harm. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks
2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I have heard this suggested strategy from a past prospective client who had huge budgets.

Apart from the low QS and surging CPC, currently, Google concept/ approach  is that relevancy works: if a user sees an ad irrelevant to the user's intent  - there will no clicks, cost will surge, and advertisers will revert.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks, @MosheTLV - this is what I expected - I just wondered if Google were likely to take it a little further and actually penalise the account for this practice...

I think if I were Google I probably would as it is likely to annoy users - but I suspect that we are going to struggle to get any impressions no matter what we bid... so Google kind of solve the problem without having to actively seek out those advertisers using this ploy.

If the client insists it will be interesting. Of course, too many keywords with QS of 1/10 is going to impact on the overall account over time.