Guide Me
star_border

Questions about impression share (IS)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Is lower IS a bad thing?

2) What is considered a "low" IS?

3) If I have a large set of negative keywords, will that lower IS?

4) Is this metric all that important to consider in optimizing campaign?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Brian (Follower ✭ ✭ ✭)
September 2015

Re: Questions about impression share (IS)

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello taewoo,

ScottyD covered the most important things, I'll add a few more:

1) Lower IS it's a bad thing from a few points of view, the most important is the volume of traffic you miss.

2) It really depends on particular market and specific conditions there. For example I have a remarketing campaign running with only 15% impression share. I consider that good. I struggled a lot to bring it there. And it performs really well. Smiley Happy

3) Negative keywords don't have a direct effect on IS. Here's why, this is first phrase from adwords help: "Impression share is the percentage of impressions you received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive." But they have an indirect effect, here is my explenation:

-> Ads are not eligible to show for the negative keywords. So, the total number of impressions you are eligible to receive is decreased by negative keywords. Negative keywords will decrease the total number of impressions that you get, and that's a good thing. I belive that negative keywords can raise your Impression Share. By showing your ads to fewer and better qualified users your performance will be better and thus your Quality Score will be higher. If your quality score is higher, your ad rank is higher. Then ads will be eligible to show for more impressions with the same bid. Cool huh? Smiley Happy

4) Yes, this is one of the most important metric people miss when they optimize their campaigns. But it really comes down to your strategy and what do you want to achive.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello taewoo,

To answer your questions regarding Impression Share:

1.) A lower IS is a bad thing in the sense that you are missing out on a portion of the market your fellow competitors are getting access to. The article here describes IS as a pie split up between you and the competition.

2.) I'm not sure so you will have to wait for other members of the community to contribute an answer but I'd guess anything less than 75% is a concern. You basically have to ask yourself how much of that "pie" you are willing to lose to competitors and then see whether you are above or below that target figure.

3.) Again, I'm not entirely sure on the answer but I think any search term including a negative keyword would be excluded from the Impression Share calculation. It's a good question though and I would wait for someone else to verify this.

4.) From an optimisation point of view it's not going to influence your quality scores, cost per clicks, etc, but from a business point of view it could be very significant. In a competitive market it's important to stay ahead of your competitors and the Impressions Share is a good indicator of how much access you have to the potential market. In a branding scenario this is essential and the Impression Share would therefore need to be as high as possible, I believe it should be taken note of in any business though personally.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Brian (Follower ✭ ✭ ✭)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello taewoo,

ScottyD covered the most important things, I'll add a few more:

1) Lower IS it's a bad thing from a few points of view, the most important is the volume of traffic you miss.

2) It really depends on particular market and specific conditions there. For example I have a remarketing campaign running with only 15% impression share. I consider that good. I struggled a lot to bring it there. And it performs really well. Smiley Happy

3) Negative keywords don't have a direct effect on IS. Here's why, this is first phrase from adwords help: "Impression share is the percentage of impressions you received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive." But they have an indirect effect, here is my explenation:

-> Ads are not eligible to show for the negative keywords. So, the total number of impressions you are eligible to receive is decreased by negative keywords. Negative keywords will decrease the total number of impressions that you get, and that's a good thing. I belive that negative keywords can raise your Impression Share. By showing your ads to fewer and better qualified users your performance will be better and thus your Quality Score will be higher. If your quality score is higher, your ad rank is higher. Then ads will be eligible to show for more impressions with the same bid. Cool huh? Smiley Happy

4) Yes, this is one of the most important metric people miss when they optimize their campaigns. But it really comes down to your strategy and what do you want to achive.

Good luck!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

HI Taewoo,

I would also like to add that there are multiple IS statistics that can be reviewed and they all represent different aspects of your campaigns.

This help article offers a clean explanation of the varying IS statistics and even some ideas on how you can go about improving them.

As previously mentioned, what you want to do regarding your impression share will be directly influenced upon your goals.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Taewoo,

Please check the answers below

1) Is lower IS a bad thing?

I think Lower IS is fine sometimes, if you dont want irrelevant traffic. But always try to be above the 95 percentil with the Exact IS. This would make a lot of sense. In my experience, Exact IS matters a lot. If you run on tighter budgets, then look at Exact IS.

2) What is considered a "low" IS?

There are no set metrics or statistics ever setup to say whats good and whats bad. It depends from industry,search terms, to your objectives.

3) If I have a large set of negative keywords, will that lower IS?

Yes, that would lower your IS. But having irrelvant terms as negatives is perfectly fine. Also, some generic keywords wouldnt give you much traction in terms of conversions and end up burning your money. Thus, its fine if you dont show up on those broad generic terms. Example would be  - insurance, insurance companies. There is a lot of competiton on these terms. But even if you loose on them, you would end up saving money.

Having a higher IS cannot warranty having loads of conversions or higher QS. There have been cases on my accounts wherein we were more than 90% on IS, and had very high CPC and lower conversions. When we optimized by adding negatives and also lowered the IS, we were able to manage all the objectives of CPA & Conversions.

The whole games is thus - Your Objectives!

4) Is this metric all that important to consider in optimizing campaign?

It is important, when you are done extracting as much conversions as possible from your account. You need to do a monthly check on your IS to see if you are really that competitve with your competitors. But,it should be used when you really want to grow very fast and have deep pockets to spend on Branding.

In the end I would suggest you to read some articles on IS and other IS related terms as mentioned in the above posts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@ zoicaremos

Great response, I have a follow up question to one portion of what you said, it may be a little off topic from this thread but its a question I've had ever since I read that adding negative keywords will not imporve your QS from various blogs around the web.

When you say:

" I belive that negative keywords can raise your Impression Share. By showing your ads to fewer and better qualified users your performance will be better and thus your Quality Score will be higher. If your quality score is higher, your ad rank is higher. Then ads will be eligible to show for more impressions with the same bid." 

Would you agree then that having negative keywords, although will not directly increase your QS, will limit the impressions that you show up for, make your kewyrods more relevant, and thus indeed achieving higher QS because your keyword is improving its CTR due to the restriction from negative keywords... does that make sense ?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

If I can step into this conversation....

Adding negative keywords does not directly improve quality score.

However, you are completely correct that blocking unwanted/irrelevant searches, serving your ads to the most highly qualified traffic you can identify, and consequently increasing CTR, will improve quality score.

The key is that once you get the unwanted traffic blocked, your ads have to deliver. They need to be getting above-average CTR and need to perform that well over a period of time. Then your keyword quality scores start to improve.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Definitely helps and confirms my suspicions. It can be a little tough to wait time, but patience will pay off.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just wanted to add a small point that a lower IS may not be bad always. Soppose we had a campaign which was getting 1000 impressions and 10 sales with IS of 50% in May. We increse the bids, get 2000 impressions and 20 sales but our IS decreses to 35% (May happen because now we have upped the bids so number of times our ads are eligible to show is more but because of quality score & bid issues, it may not be showing at that high percentage, thus lowering our IS). So, low IS a not a bad thing here.

So, IS should definitely be kept an eye on but in conjunction with the number of impressions we are receving.

Aplogies if it is obvious

Thanks

Byomkesh

Warm Regards
Byomkesh Kumar (https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=82153512)