AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Question about strange "landing page experience" variances

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

it maybe that I've gone thick all of a sudden to need to ask this, but here we go.

(I have searched but not found the right topic.)

This is a general question so I'm not posting any URLs.

With just one campaign I'm running I've come across a strange issue.

I'm sending multiple AdGroups with multiple keyterms to a single landing page.

For all but one of the AdGroups; and for all the keyterms in that AdGroup except 4; the landing page experience is Average or Above Average.

For the last 4 the landing page experience is below average.

(Not particularly relevant, but, just so know, those terms are Page1 in organic search)

Having read what I could about how the 'experience' is judged it is meant to be on UX etc etc etc and not keyword related (that is ad relevance - which is above average).

So, if we take out the keyword influence - how can one landing page have around 30+ keywords as average or above average landing page experience and just 4 as below average? What am I missing?

Additional info - this more about wanting to do it right since the CPC are not noticeably different for these terms, compared to the terms with above average, and nor is the positions were are attaining for our bid (mid-page 1). I just don't like seeing below average.

Thx for any suggestions

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about strange "landing page experience" varianc

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Kevin,

This isn't a very technical answer (and I sort of got lost half way thru your post, but I get your overall point), but sometimes it just requires playing around.

For example something that is often forgotten with PPC landing pages is to fill out the site's title tags and meta data in line with your target keywords. These don't particularly matter to users, but in Google's eyes when they are determining the relevance of the page, surely along wiht the page heading this is the first thing it looks at?

Now obviously you have covered these bases for SEO since the page is ranking well in organic serps, but are those target SEO terms similar to your ad group terms?

Just a small thought.

Cheers
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jack,

thanks for the reply - I'm grateful for any and all suggestions.

In this case all the titles etc are there - also, from my reading this would be more about ad relevance than landing page experience (but willing to be wrong if someone has more info).

The confusing thing for me is, if the landing page experience is bad - then shouldn't it be bad for every term landing there?
Slow loading for one, slow loading for all.
Bad menu structure for one, bad for all.
etc etc etc

Obviously there is something else at play - but no idea what.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I wouldn't give much consideration to this factor. Many parameters are involved. Focus on improving CTR. This is the major ingredient of QS. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Kevin,

You're absoltely right, but I guess in the full cirlce of things, relevancy is an intrinsic part of a user's experience - that's why I speculated about it.

You are right there, it doesn't make any sense that the experience of an LP is good for all kws but one.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it. What do the stats say? Is the KW showing? That's what I'd focus on. I learnt some time ago that Google's automated rankings and messages don't mean all that much. A KW with a QS of 2 can perform perfectly well, just as a KW that is below first page bid estimate can continue getting lots of impressions.

Best of luck!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jack, Moshe,

thanks very much for the input.

And in 'real' terms you are both spot on. It is the performance of the terms that is important.

You'll be pleased to know that performance/bid wise I'm fairly happy (could always be better of course) with these terms.

It's just that I hate to see below average - offends me somehow. And seeing something wierd in how the terms differ for the same page intrigues me.

I like to know 'why' things happen. Particularly when it involves spending money. I'll have to get on the phone to Google at some point and ask I guess.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello again, Kevin;
You should not get upset. This is a machine (computer) algorithm that does the ranking. It is not perfect,,,,
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick update:

I spoke to someone from Google and they couldn't explain this either and have 'forwarded the question on'.

Will let you know if I get anything new (but not expecting to).

** edit **

As an aside the QS isn't too bad - so not too worried.