Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Question about conversion and quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
I have a keyword with QS 10. It spends heavily and gives me good Conv & CPA. Suddenly, the conv go down and CPA goes up. Still QS is same and position is even better than last time. Still CPA is high. 
Since QS is still 10, what should I do ?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about conversion and quality score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's just maths that if the conversions go down the CPA goes up... so you need to focus on why the converions might have dropped.

Have there been any changes to the site? Have you made any changes to the conversion pages - and is the code still working? If these are goals in analytics are they still reporting there? and in the same numbers?

If all other things are running at their "normal" levels then conversions should not suddenly drop without some identifiable factor - which could be on the site as outlined above or external...for example, a number of my UK clients had a significant drop in traffic over the past coulple of weeks as they were suffering significant snow storms...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mdzafark,

I am trying to break down you question.

The conv go down and CPA goes up – When the spend remains same and conversion goes down, the CPA will go up – No surprises here as per pure Adwords math.

Quality score – Perfect 10 – nothing more to do here (other than maintaining it at 10)

Ad position – There is improvement!

This can be a reason behind conversion/CPA fluctuation.

Conventional wisdom says, better the ad position, more the conversions. But this is not the case always. There are time when an ad perform better at a lower position (called as the sweet spot) So now you have moved away from your sweet spot and experiencing lower conversions and high CPA. This can be a result of bid changes made by your competitors (someone may have dropped to a lower position and found his ‘sweet spot’)

Ad copy changes - Look at the ad copies near your ad. Can you find a new competitor ad copy offering better value for your customers? That can be the reason behind low response to your product/service/offer (You may experience a low CTR here).

These are some possibilities; let us know if you find anything interesting.

Deepak

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There is no relation between QS and conversions. QS is a measure of how often people click your ads, among other things but click rate has by far the most weight.

Usually, good QS ads will tend to convert better as will being in higher positions, but not always. The determining factor in conversions by far is your landing page. If you have changed something there, it might affect conversions. Often, just changing one word on the page heading can make a big difference. I even have a client who has only changed the checkout and conversion rates went up something like 25%.

Also, conversion rates can fluctuate. There can be many reasons, the obvious ones being the season. But you also don't advertise in a vaccum, you have competitors. A drop in position can affect the conversion rate, a new competitor or one doing things better (better sales pitch) may be taking away some of your sales. You may have added keywords that are not relevant enough. Search partner and content network sites may be showing your ads and getting clicked but those are not converting. There could be many other reasons.

You say your position is better. Normally, that's good as you get more clicks. But maybe this is one of those rare instances where a higher position has a negative effect. Again, could be many reasons but often, this is a competitor effect. You can test this by reducing your bid or even increasing if you are not normally near the top.

When you say they dropped, are you talking about absolute numbers or the percentage? What kind of numbers are we talking about? You can't really compare a handful of sales day to day, that is not statistically significant. But you can provided dozens per day or compare week to week or month to month.

A full analysis of your data is needed and it could uncover something. For one thing, your conversions by position and CPCs.

>> Quality score – Perfect 10 – nothing more to do here (other than maintaining it at 10)

I disagree here. Try further improving CTR. Of course, as your CTR (and QS) goes up, that becomes harder to do. But I would not say to leave it and do nothing more.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ Lucid_Marketing,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Quality score – Perfect 10 – nothing more to do here (other than maintaining it at 10)

I disagree here. Try further improving CTR. Of course, as your CTR (and QS) goes up, that becomes harder to do. But I would not say to leave it and do nothing more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. You will never maintain your QS 10 without maintaining your present CTR or improving it. And keeping on improving your CTR will not give you a QS 11.

2. And a good CTR and quality score will not help you, if you are not getting conversions from those clicks.

Deepak