AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Question about campaign types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! Iwonder what is the best way to set up campaigns when it comes to display and search network. Is it better to have one campaign with both search network with display, or two one with just search network and one with just display? Can you control it better and save/earn more money? I understand if it takes a little more time. 

I hope anyone can give some guidance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about campaign types

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Desenoit
I prefer to keep them separate. I actually find Search with Display Select quite a bit more confusing but that's just me.
Ultimately, it's up to the individual advertiser and their preference. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?hl=en

If you're looking for fine grained control, separate them. It is however recommended for more advanced advertisers as mentioned by Google in the link above.

In terms of saving money, that again will depend on how well you optimize your campaigns. A campaign type doesn't determine if you'll make or lose money. That's a much more complicated issue involving your keywords or targeting, your offer, your landing pages, your conversion rates etc.

I'd suggest you start with search and display select if you're new and don't really know what you're doing. When you're looking for more control, move onto display only.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks alot, well I´m not that new and I know pretty much what I´m doing when it comes to optimize search campaigns, but I´m not as used to display. And I thought about making a new one now or upgrade an already existing to search with display... but I think I will do another displaycampaign now. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I would definitely avoid "upgrading" your search campaign to search and display select. It can be quite stressful trying to separate out all the data and it leaves you with data in multiple tabs. If you're looking to "port" what you have to a display campaign, I'd start fresh. Bear in mind, they work very differently and display campaigns have changed significantly over the past few years so if you haven't used them in a while, there's actually a bit of a learning curve. Targeting methods can be confusing at first, especially when mixing and matching with bid or target & bid. However, on the flip side, this gives unprecedented control and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We've been able to make display work much better for us and our clients in the past couple of years because of this. It's not just keywords and placements anymore but some pretty advanced demographic, email address (customer match audiences) and remarketing targeting based on custom segments imported automatically from GA. I love living in the future Smiley Happy I can see how this would be difficult to grasp for those unfamiliar.

As you said though, you have some experience with search so I'd keep things separate. It will help you figure out display much quicker if you do and ultimately, the quicker you can understand it and make it work for you, the less money you'll waste on the "learning tax".

Let me know if you have any further specific questions.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Desenio
Just to elaborate on what Dave rightly mentioned that initially you will be a bit confused with different targeting methods particularly with bid or target & bid methods. Just want you to know that target & bid method is the default method which means when all the targeting criteria match then your ad will be shown otherwise not. The Bid only method will show when any of the selected targeting options match.
Hope that helps

Thanks
Ajay