5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Question about Google Adwords for the Broad, Exact, Phrase options

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanted to know can the broad, exact, phrase keyword terms with the +, brackets and minus and quotation marks be used on website keywords that aren't using Google Adwords on the meta tag, or is it specifically only used for Google Adwords users for Google Adwords?

Can the symbols be used for people who aren't using the Google Adwords on their keyword meta tags?Cat Surprised

All replies would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about Google Adwords for the Broad, Exact, Phrase options

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

The symbols you're talking about are for use in your AdWords account only. When keywords appear on websites, they do not have or need the "match type" symbols.

I hope that helps? If it doesn't answer your question, please post again!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jazzy ! Welcome to the Community !

Those signs are specific identifiers for adwords, you cannot use them for meta tags as explained bellow :

For SEO optimisations and best practices I would advise subscribing to this forum :

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/webmasters/meta$20keywords$20exact$20match/webmaste...

just quoting :

>>Should I use inverted commas around the kewords like "keyword", "another keyword" and so on, and what effect would this have? Or perhaps the exact match symbolds in adwords such as [keyword], [another keyword] and so on, and what effect would this have ?
No quotes or inverted commas around keywords or keyphrases. The list is in quotes, that's all.
<meta name="keywords" content="kw1,kw2,key phrase1,key phrase2" >

and try to learn from this blog 

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/type/googleseo/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, thank you a lot for your reply. I was curious for a long time trying to figure out whether the brackets, commas were used for all sites or for specifically Ad-words. Thank you for your help and reply, I appreciate it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Adrian, thank you Smiley Happy

Do you mean the keywords with brackets, commas etc are only used once you bid for the google ad-words keywords then you use the commas, brackets on the meta keywords?

Thank you for the links, I just read and watched the mattcutts blog, it said about Penguin. Is penguin used to identify spam sites? And also, it said people can hack into sites?? How is this possibly and how to stop the hacking from happening? I got stunned when I saw that sites can get hacked I never thought it would be possible, is it due to unsecure hosting servers which don't provide protection or for other type of reason that sites get hacked?

Thank you a lot for your reply and help, I really appreciate it.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes two brackets and all the keywords inside them separated by commas for meta tags and for adwords keywords this article explains it better :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3205250?rd=1

For the other issues, I will refrain from commenting here. You can however post your concerns in the webmaster forum.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @jazzy4lyf - while your question seems to be answered, I just wanted to point out that Google does not look at the Keywords Meta Tag any more, so you probably shouldn't bother much with it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Farhad,

Yes that's correct I've heard about Meta Keywords tags not being important as it once used to be due to it getting spammed in the past. However, I still think it is necessary to use it to at least help the search engines identify what the site and its pages are about.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, Thank you Adrian.

That's the article I've seen, after I read it before that's when I got confused lol because I thought symbols were used for all sites. I'm happy that there was the adwords community to ask questions or I might've put the symbols on my site.

I lastly wanted to ask can I ask the Adwords community questions about SEO, Marketing or is this community for posting only Adwords questions?

Also, I want to Accept Theresa and your answers as solutions, can both be accepted or do I choose only one? Or do I ask these questions on the community?

Thank you.