AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score of non-exact match keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So if Google only uses exact match keywords to determine the QS, how is it possible that alot of my keywords in an Ad campaign/group is not using exact match and still getting a QS? I'm confused

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality score of non-exact match keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi H Dean
The answer to that question is actually straightforward. Google uses the exact match version of that particular broad keyword to show in the UI what it's "quality score" (in inverted commas) is reported as. In reality, the QS is calculated at the moment of the auction based on the keyword's exact match.

Straight from the horses mouth:
" All keywords regardless of match type have quality scores; however, only when activity is coming from a search for exactly the keyword text will this be used to determine a keyword's quality score.

For example, if you have the broad match keyword 'hot dog' only searches for 'hot dog' will factor into QS. A search for 'Chicago-style hot dog' would not factor into the quality score for the broad match keyword 'hot dog.' I hope this helps clarify!"

Read the full discussion, https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Online-Marketing-Courses-MOOCs/Uncovering-Quality-Score/td-p...