AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score of 10/10 but still little to none converted clicks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone,

I have a general question in regards to campaign optimization. All my keywords in an ad group have a quality score of 10/10 or 8/10.  But I have very few converted clicks. The CTR is above the average(7.98) in the account - 30.49%. Quality score is good. What should I improve/optimize in order to get more converted clicks?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
December 2015

Re: Quality score of 10/10 but still little to none converted clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Zlatomira.

Quality score and conversion rate are completely unrelated. One measures (mostly) the CTR of the ad for that keyword and the other one measures the percentage of conversions for the page where you send the visitors.

If I were in your situation I'd look at the following trio: search term, ad copy, landing page. Somewhere there's a disconnect. Is your landing page delivering on your ad promise? Does your competition offer the same thing but either faster or at a better price? If that's the case, you should work on your website and offer, because the quality score can only lower your CPC and therefore CPA, but it cannot improve your conversion rate.

I've also seen many, many 10/10 keywords with next to zero conversion rate, whenever a product was not on stock on the landing page, or when the price was not competitive. Yes, my client did have that product, yes, my ad was catchy and very well synchronized with the keyword and all the extensions were there, so the QS was high and the CPC was (perhaps) among the lowest possible for that position. But, alas, the landing page did not make good on the ad promise. So I had to stop bidding for those keywords, unfortunately. Although I worked to bring CPC down to a great level and traffic was huge.

And I also remembered doing A/B tests with price in the ads (before shopping campaigns). One could clearly see when a product was competitive or not by looking at the ad with the highest CTR. When the product was competitively priced, the ad with the price won. When it wasn't, the sans-price ad won.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Zlatomira.

Quality score and conversion rate are completely unrelated. One measures (mostly) the CTR of the ad for that keyword and the other one measures the percentage of conversions for the page where you send the visitors.

If I were in your situation I'd look at the following trio: search term, ad copy, landing page. Somewhere there's a disconnect. Is your landing page delivering on your ad promise? Does your competition offer the same thing but either faster or at a better price? If that's the case, you should work on your website and offer, because the quality score can only lower your CPC and therefore CPA, but it cannot improve your conversion rate.

I've also seen many, many 10/10 keywords with next to zero conversion rate, whenever a product was not on stock on the landing page, or when the price was not competitive. Yes, my client did have that product, yes, my ad was catchy and very well synchronized with the keyword and all the extensions were there, so the QS was high and the CPC was (perhaps) among the lowest possible for that position. But, alas, the landing page did not make good on the ad promise. So I had to stop bidding for those keywords, unfortunately. Although I worked to bring CPC down to a great level and traffic was huge.

And I also remembered doing A/B tests with price in the ads (before shopping campaigns). One could clearly see when a product was competitive or not by looking at the ad with the highest CTR. When the product was competitively priced, the ad with the price won. When it wasn't, the sans-price ad won.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you @AdWiser for the detailed and great answer!
It really makes sense now, what I need to do and keep track of.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Zlatomira,

Keywords which give nice conversions might have lower QS. Generally keywords with higher QS may the list of keywords which have lower search volume and lesser completion which clearly indicate NO conversion. When you go on Dimension, you will get completely different keywords which leads to your conversion but definitely that search term is triggered your ads because of your inserted keywords (Phrase, Broad or Broad modifier)

I experienced the same which you have. My manager was happy to see 10/10 QS but client was not happy because client wants only better conversion.

At the end keywords with 10/10 QS never give pleasant conversion.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thank you and best of luck, Zlatomira.