Guide Me
star_border

Quality score change

RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a general ad group that I wanted to separate out into individual adgroups.  I used the adwords software and followed the Google instructions to copy the ads out into their own groups.  Therefore the ad campaigns are identical.  Same keywords, same ads, same everything.  The only reason I did this was so I could be more specific with the ad extensions.

The problem is one of my keywords that ranked as a 10/10 quality score now shows a 3/10 and will not display the ads complaining of low keyword relevancy.  This is the EXACT same ad campaign...

I've disabled my new break out group and enabled my old one until I can find out why.

Suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

How much time did you give things after the change? Did y...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
How much time did you give things after the change?

Did you pause the old setup 10/10? (not that it would really matter but I am curious)

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

The ad itself was fairly new (just under a month).  It wa...

RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The ad itself was fairly new (just under a month).  It was doing so well that I wanted to split it out and improve it which is what I thought Google would appreciate since it would generate more income on their end as well.

I haven't given it much time 3-4 days since I moved it out.  However, it's hard to justify since the old one went 10/10 almost immediately and this one won't even display due to the 3/10 score.  The landing page has gone unchanged along with the ad campaign.  The only difference is it was moved out of one campaign and moved to it's own.

I did pause the old one.  Today I have activated the old one and paused the new one until I could find out why the problem exists.

That is strange. Maybe the quality of that campaign was r...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That is strange. Maybe the quality of that campaign was really excellent? You might want to leave it just as it was if you can't afford to give it more time. I would think that after a week things should have stabilized and you should be seeing accurate quality scores.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Re: The ad itself was fairly new (just under a month).  It wa...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you re-checked your new campaign? I did the same thing with one of my campaigns - separated general keywords into more specific ad groups - and the QS decreased from 7/10 to 2/10... but after a while they climbed up to 7/10 again. They couldn't even run because the first page bid was in the $8 mark, waaaay off my MAX CPC.

I would try letting the new campaign run for a while and let the system adapt to the change...

Re: The ad itself was fairly new (just under a month).  It wa...

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RSC,

There is a discussion going on with a specialilst on this thread. Feel free to ask.

Best,

Zee
G+

Re: Quality score change

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi RSC,

Are you targeting the same geographical area using duplicate keywords?

RSC wrote:

(...) Therefore the ad campaigns are identical.  Same keywords, same ads, same everything.  The only reason I did this was so I could be more specific with the ad extensions.

(...)

The problem is one of my keywords that ranked as a 10/10 quality score now shows a 3/10 and will not display the ads complaining of low keyword relevancy.  This is the EXACT same ad campaign...

To my knowledge, that will always cause low quality scores. Avoid duplicate keywords towards the same target area. 

What you probably should have done was to split your general ad group into several unique ad groups, all with unique keyword lists limited to one specific theme or sub-theme. Then try to write ad texts that are as specific to each ad group as possible.

So, in your ad groups...

• Dont use duplicate keywords towards the same area
  • Avoid generic ad texts used across all ad groups
  • Write unique ad texts for each ad group

(I am a bit surprised that nobody mentioned this after three weeks. Did I misunderstand your question completely?)

And finally, be aware that if you create a new improved campaign rearranging keywords from an old campaign that you are pausing, it is not unusual to get a low QS the first couple of days.

When this happens, I try to kickstart the campaign with a slightly higher budget and a higher bid for a couple of days. This is too give the campaign some historical data as fast as possible. When the campaign has gotten enough statistics the QS will normally increase again, and I will then set budgets and bids back to normal.

I have noticed that kickstarts like these are specially useful for low traffic campaigns. If you get a low quality score for low volume keywords, you risk your ads not being served at all. An extended period of time with 0 impressions, 0 clicks, and 0% CTR will make it increasingly difficult to improve your QS.

Best

Håvard

Re: Quality score change

RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
RSC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

:: And finally, be aware that if you create a new improved campaign rearranging keywords from an old campaign that you are pausing, it is not unusual to get a low QS the first couple of days. - Havardo

This is how I did it.  I created a new campaign and segmented the ads, keywords etc but kept them identical to my previous adgroup.  I then paused the previous adgroup and enabled the new adgroup a few minutes later.

It never did get back to it's original score but it did slowly climb back up.  What I wish is for adwords to provide us with an easier method to accomplish this and retain what statistics already exist including the quality score.

It's some what ridiculous to think that you can copy everything over into another campaign with the same exact settings in the same account and not get the same status after completing the transition.