AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score and use of trademarks in ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have some campaigns that have very low quality scores. What I understand is this is largely due to the "quality" match between the key words and the ads. The problem I have is that the key words I use are for example Excel and iPad but as these are trademarks they are not allowed in the Ads themselves. I have adapted the ads to exclude these words but in terms of search words I strongly believe these are what people would use if they were looking for an App for their iPad that supports Excel (which is what my app does!!).

How can I approach this to get a better quality score. Any good ideas welcome

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Quality score and use of trademarks in ads

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RobinO,

Quality Score is not only depends on Keywods and adcopy relevance, but yes it is one of the important factor that contributes to QS.

QS is being calculated on the basis of relevancy between Keywords, adcopies & landing page. At the same time relevancy between keywords and search terms associated with keywords plays very important role in QS. I would suggest you to see search term reports and weed out all negative terms at campaign as well as adgroup level. It is important because QS is being recalculated every time your keyword is eligible for an auction and get triggered by search term. So the relevancy between search terms and keywords plays an important role. You get a Idea on this you can check Exact Match Impression share of your campaigns/adgroups. 

CTR is the one of the most IMP factor of QS. Better CTR means improvement in QS and then less cost per click. 

In order maintain relevancy it is always recommended to have thightly themed adgroups with strictly relevant adcopy directed to highly relevant landing page.

Initial QS is assigned on the basis of how other advertisers used same keywords in the past that you are using. I would recommend to read help center artilcle on Quality Score for detailed understanding on 'How is QS being calulated".

I have mentioned some points above, for Detailed answer I would like you to visit some great threads in this community on QS:

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores
Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce
Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

If I am not allowed to add Trademark Term in adcopy, I personally do not try adding those terms or misspells in my ad. In order to improve or maintain QS I work on other factors such as improving CTR, make sure I am having relevant search queries by constantly adding negative keywords etc.

I am not sure for which region you are targeting trademark keywords. Google has Trademark policies for the regions where they only consider Trademark Term as voilation in Adtext & in some regions they consider both keywords and Adtext as voilations. See this referance for better understanding.

My Opinion! Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RobinO,

Quality Score is not only depends on Keywods and adcopy relevance, but yes it is one of the important factor that contributes to QS.

QS is being calculated on the basis of relevancy between Keywords, adcopies & landing page. At the same time relevancy between keywords and search terms associated with keywords plays very important role in QS. I would suggest you to see search term reports and weed out all negative terms at campaign as well as adgroup level. It is important because QS is being recalculated every time your keyword is eligible for an auction and get triggered by search term. So the relevancy between search terms and keywords plays an important role. You get a Idea on this you can check Exact Match Impression share of your campaigns/adgroups. 

CTR is the one of the most IMP factor of QS. Better CTR means improvement in QS and then less cost per click. 

In order maintain relevancy it is always recommended to have thightly themed adgroups with strictly relevant adcopy directed to highly relevant landing page.

Initial QS is assigned on the basis of how other advertisers used same keywords in the past that you are using. I would recommend to read help center artilcle on Quality Score for detailed understanding on 'How is QS being calulated".

I have mentioned some points above, for Detailed answer I would like you to visit some great threads in this community on QS:

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores
Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce
Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

If I am not allowed to add Trademark Term in adcopy, I personally do not try adding those terms or misspells in my ad. In order to improve or maintain QS I work on other factors such as improving CTR, make sure I am having relevant search queries by constantly adding negative keywords etc.

I am not sure for which region you are targeting trademark keywords. Google has Trademark policies for the regions where they only consider Trademark Term as voilation in Adtext & in some regions they consider both keywords and Adtext as voilations. See this referance for better understanding.

My Opinion! Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello  robinO;

In addition to Neha's comprehensive answer:

Quote:

>>>>" I have some campaigns that have very low quality scores. What I understand is this is largely due to the "quality" match between the key words and the ads." 

• This is only partly correct. The main component of QS is CTR. CTR is QS . Work on your ad-copy to get a more attractive ad. 
  •  Trademarks are governed by local and world-wide laws and agreements. Google can't allow to use them where prohibited by law. (e.g. Show them publicly, without the trademark owner approval.) 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’