4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score and Keywords with Low Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if your keywords are longtail and/or your ad group has a lot of low volume searches with low to no competition then your  quality score could be hurt? Would this affect your total quality score or just of the ad group related to these keywords? And from a strategic standpoint wouldn't it be great to "own" an ad group that has 1,000+ monthly searches based on  keywords  with monthly searches between 10 - 50 with little to no competition so your CPC is low? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
9 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gregory C
September 2015

Re: Quality score and Keywords with Low Search Volume

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Gregory,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

If you run campaign in low volume searches with low to no competition then your quality score couldn't be hurt, you will get bid. It will be just affected to related keywords. Yes if keywords with monthly searches between 10 - 50 with little to no competition so your CPC is low. best suggestion for you to avoid low search keywords. if it's bound to use low searching keywords, so you can use if no competition. Best practice of Quality Score .

Happy Advertising. Cheers!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The key here is the CTR.

If you have 10 impressions and 1 click, this is a CTR of 10%....

So nothing wrong with low search volume keywords. There aren't many impressions, however the CTR is relatively high.

Whether low search volume keywords  drive  enough traffic to the site, which converts,  that's a different topic...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The key here is that there will be no CTR and no impressions for a "Low Search volume" labeled keyword, while the keyword has the LSV label, as this label means that google has stopped serving ads for this keyword, period. 

Confusion may come from analysing a large time-frame , while this LSV label is for the present time. So maybe 1 year ago a keyword has some traffic, but now it has the LSV label so it has no current traffic, as it does not participate in auctions.

For any person who is not familiar with the status of keywords , I recommend this reading :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616014?hl=en

"For this reason, Google temporarily makes these keywords inactive so that they don't trigger your ads.  If the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again. Our system checks and updates this status once per week. "

Seriously, does anyone have LSV labeled keyword with actual traffic for them , while they are labeled Low Search Volume ?

---------------

Now on the QS part : I have my own theory. You should only keep relevant keywords in your account. Relevancy is not entirely about CTR, but also about keyword to ad text relevancy and keyword to landing page relevancy.

So if your keyword is about facebook , but your ad is about selling meat and you landing page is about something unrelated to the keyword, your newly added Low Search Volume keyword will receive a starting low QS.

By keeping 1000 Low Search Volume keywords in your account when they all have QS 1/10 will affect ad group QS and will drag the performance of the other keywords down. But this is just my theory ,based on experience.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Moshe , but "reactivated" means removal of the "Low Search Volume" status, does it not ? It would be only logical.

They describe the process as a weekly cycle . Let's say Google checks the volume every monday, they can do 2 things.

1) Set the Status "Low search volume" for the keyword on monday , for the next 7 days it will serve no ads.

2) Remove the old status "Low search volume" for the keyword on monday if there is estimated traffic and for the next 7 days the keyword can serve ads.

But on the monday, there will be a new check on the keyword for whether to set it's status to "Low Search Volume" or not for a week.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 12
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yea Mr. MosheTLV you are right.
I guess from his concern, it may helps him more...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to believe what Moshe tells me, that a keyword with a LSV status can trigger my ads, so I made a test.

I made up a 4 word exact match keyword [bonus 200 ron adwords] which resulted in a "Low Search volume" status and I have allocated a high bid on it , the equivalent of 10 $ MaxCPC, while the daily budget is 500 $.

This keyword received an initial QS of 10/10 .

I waited for 1 hour for the system to adjust to the new keyword , to exit the "pending review" status and I tested it through the "Ad Preview and Diagnosis" tool by typing the exact keyword and it didn't trigger any Ad.

Shouldn't such a test with the Ad Preview show that the LSV status keyword can trigger my ads ?

More than this, the message for any Low Search Volume keyword , if I hoover the mouse on the status bubble says "Users don't search for this term very often on Google properties , so it's not eligible to trigger your ads" .

I strongly believe that a keyword with the LSV status cannot generate impressions , while it has this status, in the same day but if the initial QS of such keywords is high I recommend keeping them around for 1-2 months to see if they change status to "Eligible" but if they don't receive any impressions for a long time, delete them.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

Adrian;

We should look at the data, not into beliefs.

Google does not disclose what signals trigger a status of LSV. But, as a KW could be set as LSV, it could be out of this category, and later  put back.  The statistical behavior upon which queries (which matched to a KWs) are "all of a sudden" get volume is not available to us. (My personal thinking is that  seasonal effect change in regulatory requirements, change in the specifications could trigger the status.)

I think that the system routinely checks the behavior of KWs and based on that assigns  LSV.

Now, since we are talking statistics, the change in behavior  should be looked  over a long period of time and by many users. That's how I understand statistical analysis.

Now, I understand that your data shows different behavior. This  does not mean that we should trust / believe one set (of data) over the other. It does mean that "statistical behavior" of one set (of KWs)  is different from the other. (Language, location, users behavior, seasonal factors... etc.)

To wrap up my point: back  to the original question:  In practice; we are most likely talking about a few KWs in a campaign, out of (at least) a few hundreds, or a few dozen. Since, they rarely trigger the ad, and have low impressions - keep them. This is my recommendation.  I see no "harm" to the campaign performance.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 15
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If  "Google does not disclose what signals trigger a status of LSV. "  then what is the meaning of the following phrases from the definition page of the Low Search Volume status ?

" If the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again. Our system checks and updates this status once per week."

"Before our system stops a keyword from joining the auction, it evaluates the number of searches on a given keyword worldwide over the past twelve months."

Could it be that traffic volume for that keyword for the past 12 months is the signal that triggers the status of LSV, and this information is disclosed by google ?

The is no harm in keeping enabled 100 LSV keywords if they have initial QS of 1/10 ? Isn't there an ad group QS formula influenced by the QS of all keywords in that ad group, regardless of their traffic volume ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 16
Top Contributor

Adrian;

I think we are "going in circles" here; and we covered the issue from any angle.

A concluding remark from my side: My experience is that Google is much more sophisticated in its statistical, modeling  than we think. And, the documentation sometimes (in order to  appeal / reach  all advertisers) simplifies the mathematical modeling.

I am not going to speculate on the mathematical or statistical modeling of LSV. 

Also, note that the not everything is covered by the documentation or the support centers.

I am sure that  in  Adwords summits / conferences  which you attended in your country, or in other conferences for online advertisers, you took part,  you gained / exposed to tips and practices not  documented in the help center. Google has many ways to educate advertisers.  Additionally, advertisers share (among themselves in conferences/ meetings, etc.) knowledge  they gained through  experience, which Google does not necessarily publish.

The help center, though the  centerpiece about Adwords, in not the only source for Adwords know-how.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Gregory,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

If you run campaign in low volume searches with low to no competition then your quality score couldn't be hurt, you will get bid. It will be just affected to related keywords. Yes if keywords with monthly searches between 10 - 50 with little to no competition so your CPC is low. best suggestion for you to avoid low search keywords. if it's bound to use low searching keywords, so you can use if no competition. Best practice of Quality Score .

Happy Advertising. Cheers!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The key here is the CTR.

If you have 10 impressions and 1 click, this is a CTR of 10%....

So nothing wrong with low search volume keywords. There aren't many impressions, however the CTR is relatively high.

Whether low search volume keywords  drive  enough traffic to the site, which converts,  that's a different topic...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The key here is that there will be no CTR and no impressions for a "Low Search volume" labeled keyword, while the keyword has the LSV label, as this label means that google has stopped serving ads for this keyword, period. 

Confusion may come from analysing a large time-frame , while this LSV label is for the present time. So maybe 1 year ago a keyword has some traffic, but now it has the LSV label so it has no current traffic, as it does not participate in auctions.

For any person who is not familiar with the status of keywords , I recommend this reading :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616014?hl=en

"For this reason, Google temporarily makes these keywords inactive so that they don't trigger your ads.  If the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again. Our system checks and updates this status once per week. "

Seriously, does anyone have LSV labeled keyword with actual traffic for them , while they are labeled Low Search Volume ?

---------------

Now on the QS part : I have my own theory. You should only keep relevant keywords in your account. Relevancy is not entirely about CTR, but also about keyword to ad text relevancy and keyword to landing page relevancy.

So if your keyword is about facebook , but your ad is about selling meat and you landing page is about something unrelated to the keyword, your newly added Low Search Volume keyword will receive a starting low QS.

By keeping 1000 Low Search Volume keywords in your account when they all have QS 1/10 will affect ad group QS and will drag the performance of the other keywords down. But this is just my theory ,based on experience.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I disagree with Adrian that low search volume keywords will not trigger the ad.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It is all fine and cool that you disagree with the opinion of a person in this case me , but do you also disagree with the straight forward documentation which says that LSV keywords are in fact inactive keywords ?

If so maybe the documentation needs rewriting.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian;

I did not quite understand if your last post is based on your experience as an advertiser or strictly by quoting the documentation. I think you misunderstood the documentation;

So, here is an example from one of my campaigns about LSV. Not a bad CTR at all, considering  the competitive vertical   in which this campaign is running (and the low bid the client "imposed"). 

Thus, I would be cautious in saying: "there will be no CTR and no impressions for a "Low Search volume"

low search volume CTR.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Personal experience, confirmed by the documentation.

From hundreds of LSV keywords I kept around for months in several accounts, not even one produced impressions so I ended up doing what google recommends here on page 3 :

http://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google-keywords-to-the-wise.pdf

"Delete your low search volume keywords.
Why:Reduce clutter. If keywords aren’t going to drive any traffic for you, there’s no need to
keep them around."

The documentation seems pretty clear to me , during a day when a keyword has this label, it is not serving ads. Tomorrow if the "weekly keyword evaluation" as Google puts it in their own help file, removes this Status of LSV from the keyword,this keyword  could serve ads and receive impressions. But only because it doesn't have the "Low Search Volume" status anymore.

To me the message in the help file does not leave interpretation "Google temporarily makes these keywords inactive so that they don't trigger your ads.  " .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the screenshot.

Is the source of those impressions "Google Search Network" or "Google Search Partners network" ? One can find that via the Segment button.

If it is the segment "Search Partners network" maybe google sets the LSV status only for traffic from their own network.

Also as I said before, are you looking only at "today's data" ? Because the LSV status is only for "today" while the traffic you see can be from months ago when the keyword might not have had the LSV status.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Adrian;

Don't miss the sentence which comes after that:

>>"If the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again. Our system checks and updates this status once per week.