AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score 1/10 - what to do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm starting out on a new account. My quality score for the most important keywords is 1/10, and it is saying below average for everything: expected CTR, Ad relevance and landing page experience. As I've had zero impressions, it can't possibly be CTR. My landing page is excellent and it is literally the most relevant keyword I could possibly bid on. What could the issue be and what can I do? Should I try writing different variations of ads? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rolando M
May 2016

Re: Quality score 1/10 - what to do?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
@petebardo hot the nail on the head there. Smiley Happy What you may think is most relevant may not have any actual user interest.

If you sell gears, and you as the industry expert know that gears are called gears - But - Your customers think gears are actually called widgets - Then you're never going to get any impressions for gears. If no one is actually searching for that/those terms, then they are not relevant.

However, if you are not generating ANY impressions at all, there may be something else going on...

The bottom line is quality score is not something you can change with the flip of a switch, or by pressing a button. If keywords/search terms generate revenue, and for whatever reason Google decides to assign a QS of 1 to those terms, a "low quality score" isn't going to stop me from making my clients money. Smiley Happy A QS of 10 is no guarantee that the particular KW/query is actually worth spending any money on either. First you have to find a way to start accruing some data, with a small experimental budget you can afford to play with over time. Then establish your conversion strategy, and associate value to those conversions. Once that's all sorted, only then do you start to worry about ROAS, QS, adrank, etc. If you're not even getting impressions yet, QS isn't the primary concern.
Tom

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rolando,

My best guess is that your keywords were overused by other advertisers in the past and all that happened in the very wrong way. That's why the system refrains from delivering your ads. - Though I cannot see your campaign, that assumption would explain all the symptoms you listed above.

What you could do? Chances are first of all you should try finding different and much more specific keywords to target. Also make sure that the new terms are closely related to your ad copies and landing page(s).

Best,
Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rolando,

I second Lakatos' explanation.

The only other thing I would add is that you might want to analyze the keywords in your competitor's websites to look for ideas on how to dig deeper into the niche. You may also want to look at relevant blogs and see the keywords they are using. Industry terms can change over time, even over just a few months, and this can affect how people search for your product/service. So you'd want to find more targeted/niche keywords based on how your prospects may be conducting their searches.

Another possible avenue would be to zoom out, so to speak, and create a limited test campaign with very short keywords set to broad match. This way you can gather data on search terms and see what long tail keywords may work better, and create new ad groups around them. It will give you a direct insight into how people may be looking for your product/service. However, you will get a lot more irrelevant searches doing these tests, so it will be essential to check your search terms report daily and add negative keywords for things that are completely irrelevant.

Hope this helps.
Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to give a little more context, this business has no competitors. There is no one else offering this service and no other advertisers bidding on these keywords. In terms of the relevancy, unfortunately the keywords that have the 1/10 score are literally the most relevant keywords for this advertiser, which is counter-intuitive because the only way to expand into more keywords would be to get less relevant.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Rolando M,

It's extremely rare to find keywords no other advertiser is either using or has used. No other advertisers for the keyword does not necessarily mean no one else is bidding on them. It's much more likely these keywords have been used in the past by other advertisers with little or no success.

In terms of relevancy, the only measure AdWords uses to determine relevancy is CTR. The advertiser may feel these are the most relevant keywords, but that doesn't necessarily mean the keywords are relevant to the potential customers.

I have to add it's very unusual for new keywords in an account or campaign to get that low of a QS. See this: https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/aw9kTjzGLcz

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rolando M
May 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
@petebardo hot the nail on the head there. Smiley Happy What you may think is most relevant may not have any actual user interest.

If you sell gears, and you as the industry expert know that gears are called gears - But - Your customers think gears are actually called widgets - Then you're never going to get any impressions for gears. If no one is actually searching for that/those terms, then they are not relevant.

However, if you are not generating ANY impressions at all, there may be something else going on...

The bottom line is quality score is not something you can change with the flip of a switch, or by pressing a button. If keywords/search terms generate revenue, and for whatever reason Google decides to assign a QS of 1 to those terms, a "low quality score" isn't going to stop me from making my clients money. Smiley Happy A QS of 10 is no guarantee that the particular KW/query is actually worth spending any money on either. First you have to find a way to start accruing some data, with a small experimental budget you can afford to play with over time. Then establish your conversion strategy, and associate value to those conversions. Once that's all sorted, only then do you start to worry about ROAS, QS, adrank, etc. If you're not even getting impressions yet, QS isn't the primary concern.
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I'm on the same page, QS is not the end all metric here. For me it would be CPL, and because the keywords are so specifically relevant I'm willing to bid an entire days budget on a single click. If all QS impacted was my CPC that would be fine, I would pay whatever to appear for that phrase because it is actually what this product does. But if I have zero impressions and the status is "rarely shown due to low quality score" I can't seem to get enough data to even make that determination. In terms of the relevancy question, because this product is in its own category and unknown, no one is searching for it or the category, so the only types of keywords I can even find to even bid on are long tail queries along the lines of "How can I do [what this product allows you to do]" - which is what is getting a low quality score. Any other keywords I can even find to bid on I wouldn't bother spending money on for the reason you mention. It wouldn't get any conversions because of low searcher intent and relevance.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Perhaps keyword targeted search advertising is not the best approach to your current situation.

What about analytics? Are you getting any traffic to the site, and if so, from where?

If you can target referral placements, demographics, audience targets (topics, in-market, affinity categories, etc.), within the display network that you know generate some interest already - Then you might find something you can actually work with. If the product is unknown, then your first step is to try and make your target market aware of the products existence. While there are "quality and relevance signals" that determine adrank on the display network, there is no keyword/targeting quality score per se. If you start with the broadest topics or affinity categories, your goal should be to get as many impressions as possible at this stage of the game. You have to get the impressions first. Smiley Happy If you're willing to pay the entire days budget for a single click (just to prove a concept), then stick with cpc bidding, bid the budget, and see what happens.

Ad approval for the display network can take a couple of days sometimes... If, one of the issues you may be having is related to ad content or landing page(s), then the display review process may at least provide you with some more information. Do make sure to enable your "Policy Details" column when viewing the ad level of the account, and make sure you don't have any ad approval issues. Sometimes certain issues (like limited, but still technically enabled, due to trademark for example) take a little more investigating to uncover.

In short - Try a limited display campaign (or perhaps even a Dynamic Search Ads campaign), as another test to see if you can get some more information, and maybe even some engaged traffic. Smiley Happy
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks all for the responses. After several days it appears that simply continuing to increase my bid to more than my daily budget eventually triggered ads to start to be shown. As I suspected these are the best keywords for this advertiser and the CTR and engagement on the clicks is the best. The quality score for them is starting to bounce back a bit as a result. I hope eventually it will come back. Regardless, I am getting impressions and clicks which is all I want and am willing to pay for as these are very relevant to this business whether or not the algorithm thinks so.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Your original problem was this: "My quality score for the most important keywords is 1/10........zero impressions......"

If you bid high enough, they may of course get some impetus. However, was that what you wanted to hear?