5.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score 1/10 - what to do?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am running a drone services site in Sydney. One of the highest trafficked keywords [drone hire] (along with many many others) have a 1/10 QS. I have a very targeted ad toward this keyword, 3.2% CTR and a dedicated landing page built for the adgroup with 'drone hire' in the URL and H1. My ads have several extensions and the site loads quickly. I'm not sure what else i can do to increase QS and it's a flat 1 out of 10!

I thought maybe there was something wrong with my site but there are some keywords i have a 7/10 for.

Any ideas?

Screenshots of Ad and landing page below.

http://highexposure.com.au/drone-hire-company-sydney/[drone hire] Adwords Ad.png

4 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would start by reworking the web page. Simply having the words "Drone Hire" in two headings is not enough. There needs to be much more discussion about "drone hire." And I would add Drone Hire in the ad, not just in the heading and URL.  

The score is telling you that the relevancy to the keywords is lacking, hence the 1/10 score. You would likely have a 5/5 or more with "drone services"... and possibly with "hire drone services."

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I agree with James here. I ran your website through the Page Speed Insights Tool and you got a 2/100 - https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhighexposure.com.au%2Fdrone...

I suggest you retool your landing page to optimize loading speed. Also make sure to put an eye on bounce rate from now on. 

After that start fresh and you should see improvements. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

For the landing page, Google may have decided that the topic is photography instead of drones. It's just a guess, but look at your competitor's landing pages to see the ratio of drone-related keywords to photography-related keywords.

In case you didn't know, QS is a relative score, it is relative to your competitors. It is possible that competitors have a higher QS but don't convert as well.

And if a competitor is offering a cheap price in their ads, they'll perhaps get a higher CTR than you, but not necessarily make money.

Re: Quality score 1/10 - what to do?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Dave M,

Please use this information to learn more about quality score and then apply it to your website and ad contents. You will see improvements, no doubt. 

Think about some topics/paragraphs like...

• Video drone services for hire.
  • Photography drone services for hire. 
  • Drone services for hire.
  • Drone hire for aerial land inspections.
  • Drone hire for land surveys.
  • Drone hire for event photography.
  • Drone hire for real estate.
  • Drone hire for...  

Build relevancy between the keywords, ads and landing page. 

Cheers,

James

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Many issues to cover here.  Apart from improving the landing page, I would focus (as Rob mentioned) on improving the CTR - the major and predominant  component of QS. I assume that 3.2% is lower than the average of the competitors, so I would first use the usual techniques (match types, negative keywords etc...) to improve the CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks James. Ok, I will try add 'drone hire' into the description of the ad. I will also increase the frequency in the page text. You were right "drone services" was a 5/10 and "+drone +services" a 7. Although it still said the landing page experience was 'below average' for those terms. I will need to keep tweaking.  Appreciate the input.
Dave 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Josh. Thanks for pointing that out. I actually have been using that same tool although didn't realise that LP page was so low. 2/100! I was using the tool for the homepage which is more like 63/100. Strange it would be so low for the other pages. I will need to look into it although the insights tool says i have the same issues for the 2/100 as the 63/100 page. The strange thing is that all the pages on the site actually load very quickly for me. I changed host providers recently due to speed issues and it works great now (except for the speed insights results).

Perhaps i should try point the ad to the homepage in the meantime? There is plenty of 'drone hire' text there. It might work.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Rob. I think i still have a bit of text tweaking to do in order to make Google happy. I have looked at plenty of competitors pages and i think you may be right. The frequency of the word 'drone' is not used nearly as much. Some of the competitor pages are very text heavy, which to be honest i was looking to avoid when building the site.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Cheers James. Sounds like i need to re-write some of the site content. Higher frequency of my top terms within the pages. Thanks for the topic suggestions to add to the site/ads. I think the site is truly the issue here. I don't think i have a single keyword that says i have a good landing page experience.