Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Scores no longer visible is like driving blind

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand there have been changes to quality score reporting. Lately Many of my QS have been replaced by a dash, while my more popular keywords' Qs remained. Now there are none! With out seeing a QS how are you supposed to track improvements by seeing a raise in QS as well as the components like CTR, relevance and landing page (below, normal, average). With recent optimizations I was making I was starting to see where my improvements were taking place and watching scores rise.....now this is like driving blind! Not enough traffic? Really? My monthly charges certainly show there is "traffic".

Could turning off your campaigns for a day or so do this?

Thank you,

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Google is nothing if not super-rational, so it will be beneficial to adapt to this change. Now instead of assigning a nominal "6" which will drift to it's natural level, they are simply saying "we haven't decided about this one yet". This change will very likely work out to advertiser's advantage, over time. You still have the other kpi's to optimize to. 

I have been dealing with AdWords since they were first available, not that I am the most experienced SEM here by any means.  If there is one thing I have learned it is, you can trust Google to make good decisions.  John Bastelle summed it up very well in his classic book, "The Search":

"The only thing Google fails to do, is fail".  

And when they do fail, they tend to fail fast and correct it.  So I'm not too concerned about the change in the way initial QS is reported.

hth...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @smithpix,

Steve covers things well with his smart insights, so I will not attempt to expand on things much... but wanted to add that if you change the date range for your AdWords account, you should see the QS open up more, for those that have history. Even with that, keywords that are new or seldom triggered will not open up QS... which begs the question as to if they are needed. Sometimes we will optimize an account and dial the date back 6-8 months and see the keywords has no score and have never triggered a click... and so they are removed. We ideally want 15 keywords per ad group, all with 7/10 or higher (for the most part). 

Like Steve, I started with AdWords back around 2002 (or before, when it was not called AdWords yet) and I stopped years ago trying to swim upstream with it. I simply take a breath, smile and say to myself... round 23 is about to commence.

On the proactive front, you can use this form and send your thoughts and ideas upstream to the AdWords team.

To answer your question, no... turning things off will not trigger the QS, only clicks on them will.  

Kind Regards,

James 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Or in other words, where the QS scores previously weren't true or accurate, now there is nothing. Better to know than to be misled. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an intriguing post but could you decode it for me? Thanks!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Before the changes, whenever you added a new keyword it got given a placeholder QS of 6. The keyword didn't have a QS of 6, because QS hadn't been calculated yet. 

Now instead of 6 as a placeholder, you see nothing. When you do see a number, it is the actual QS.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @smithpix,

It's great that you are interested in understanding this further, since it really is an important aspect of your advertising campaigns with AdWords.

Please view this article from the Google AdWords team, which will discuss quality scores in detail, including the keywords with -- for scores. Once you have viewed this, please stop back and let us know how things are and if we can assist further with any questions. We are happy to help!

Kind Regards,

James

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I can see why this change has shaken some advertisers, like yourself. Although there are great answers explaining already let me just add something from my own experience. 

Quality score is an important overall indicator of keyword/account health, however it is not an absolute. 

Keep in mind there are many factors that make up quality score, some of which you have NO control over (expected click through rate). Many a time I have seen lower quality keywords create far better results for advertisers costs wise. Its common to see 6/10 or lower bring more click volume, and better conversion results than 7/10 or higher. Longer tail keywords are usually higher quality by default because of course they are "more relevant" by Google's standards. 

It's good to always look to improve QS of course, but my advice is, don't use quality score as your main measure of optimisation for your keywords. Use it is a guide but focus on your CTR, your CPA and of course your conversion rates. You can measure real results using these metrics, but quality score will always be a "grey" area. 

Kind Regards

Abbie Roberts

Re: Quality Scores no longer visible is like driving blind

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @smithpix I'd heartily second @Abbie R's comments.  Quality Score really should not be the subject of the obsession it seems to be when you read around the web; it's a guideline and a pretty broad one at that.  Personally, I treat the scores shown in precisely that way, they're interesting to note, but are far, far less important than other definitive metrics such as conversion value/cost.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits