5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have a keyword that reflects a very low Quality Score. The keyword has a good amount of traffic, is very relevant to the landing page as well as the ads. The bidding price is not low. What could cause this low score?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Quality Score

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

2 potential issues that come to mind:

1) Your Ad Copy isn't as good as your competition. (You can use the auction insights tool to see what percentage of the time you are showing up on top vs. your competitors. This is a good indicator of whether your Click Through Rates are similar to your competition.)

2) Some industries are not inclined to get clicks on the paid ads. This reduces the quality score for everyone in the game - including your competitors. At the end of the day, all you care about is being profitable, so even if you are being penalized and paying more per click, as long as you're profitable, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@ shaunis,

Theres quite a few scenarios that may cause this, assuming this is for 'Search Network' campaign and you're not running a single keyword campaign.

Possibilities:

a. Your (keyword) may not be relevant to majority of other keywords in the adgroup

b. OR although your (keyword) is relevant, it is not included inside the ad's title, description, or display URL

c. Account structure + keyword groupings plays a huge role in Quality Score

d. Landing page content is relevant BUT loading time is slow

e. Brand new account w/ no historical data

f. Your CTR (click-through-rate) of your ad is too low

Solutions:

a. Separate large adgroup into smaller ultra targeted adgroups depending on (goals, niche, performance, keywords relevancy, search query intent, brand, service base...etc.)

b. Add your (keyword) in title, description, display URL

c. Optimize landing page meta tags/keywords (tip: creatively include your adwords ad title + description into your sites meta title/description), I use the KISS method (keep is simple stupid), simplify EVERYTHING.

d. Get faster hosting! Speeed, speeed!! or if you can afford, set yourself up with CDN (content delivery network) * highly recommended

e. If you keyword niche is 'highly competitive' and/or your competitors has been running paid advertising w/ similar keywords for a long time (bad news) , what to do? = Bid aggressively early on, get your ads in top 3 slots, get good CTR ratio fast and let Google recalculate your QS quicker.

f. CTR is too low? Get creative w/ your ad copies. Include price + promotions + strong call-to-action + INCLUDE keyword (tip: creating urgency by adding time limitation still works)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Please hover over the bubble next to it (actually in the Status column) and tell us what it says.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is this a new campaign? If it is Google goes off historical data. If you continue to get good ctr then this will correct it's self. I have delt with this issue many times and for the most part after some time my quality score increases.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

2 potential issues that come to mind:

1) Your Ad Copy isn't as good as your competition. (You can use the auction insights tool to see what percentage of the time you are showing up on top vs. your competitors. This is a good indicator of whether your Click Through Rates are similar to your competition.)

2) Some industries are not inclined to get clicks on the paid ads. This reduces the quality score for everyone in the game - including your competitors. At the end of the day, all you care about is being profitable, so even if you are being penalized and paying more per click, as long as you're profitable, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@ shaunis,

Theres quite a few scenarios that may cause this, assuming this is for 'Search Network' campaign and you're not running a single keyword campaign.

Possibilities:

a. Your (keyword) may not be relevant to majority of other keywords in the adgroup

b. OR although your (keyword) is relevant, it is not included inside the ad's title, description, or display URL

c. Account structure + keyword groupings plays a huge role in Quality Score

d. Landing page content is relevant BUT loading time is slow

e. Brand new account w/ no historical data

f. Your CTR (click-through-rate) of your ad is too low

Solutions:

a. Separate large adgroup into smaller ultra targeted adgroups depending on (goals, niche, performance, keywords relevancy, search query intent, brand, service base...etc.)

b. Add your (keyword) in title, description, display URL

c. Optimize landing page meta tags/keywords (tip: creatively include your adwords ad title + description into your sites meta title/description), I use the KISS method (keep is simple stupid), simplify EVERYTHING.

d. Get faster hosting! Speeed, speeed!! or if you can afford, set yourself up with CDN (content delivery network) * highly recommended

e. If you keyword niche is 'highly competitive' and/or your competitors has been running paid advertising w/ similar keywords for a long time (bad news) , what to do? = Bid aggressively early on, get your ads in top 3 slots, get good CTR ratio fast and let Google recalculate your QS quicker.

f. CTR is too low? Get creative w/ your ad copies. Include price + promotions + strong call-to-action + INCLUDE keyword (tip: creating urgency by adding time limitation still works)

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@VinceTint - great advice on your reply to shaunis.

Is it normal to upload a new campaign via AdWords Editor and see the quality scores start off at a much higher score? When I added the data I had paused the campaign until I was ready to add the new landing pages. When everything was set up and the campaign enabled, the scores dropped significantly. I'm starting to see some improvement but not much. Is this typcial?

Thanks.

Marie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@ Marie

Hi, yes absolutely, after initial setup adwords will calculate and readjust your QS scores depending on your account structures, keyword to ad to landing page relevance, loading speed, CTR, histroical data, current market rates, and amongst others.....