AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

On the 13th October my QS seemed to nosedive. Overnight it went from 6 to 5.6 and is now at 4.9! 

I hadn't changed anything within the account to make it drop! only increase keyword bids/daily budgets. 
The keywords that have dropped seem to be on our regional keywords (so anything with a place name in)
About 7 weeks ago we made new PPC specific pages with had the palce names in, Could it be that our QS is catching up with us? Also alot of these keywords only get a few impressions a day. 

I have also seen this drop on anther of our accounts on the same day, going from 7.3 to 6.7 (not as massive as the other account) 

Our website wasnt down at anytime either. It just seems strange that it happened on both accounts at the same time. 

Any ideas? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Faye,

Are you calculating an average for your quality score numbers? They should be reported as integers. If it's an average it might be useful to see exactly which quality scores went down so you can narrow down the possible reasons.

Either way, quality scores can change over time, especially in the beginning. When you create keywords, adwords will assign an initial quality score which is an average for how that keyword performed for other advertisers. Once your keyword has seen enough impressions (several hundreds?), it'll get its actual quality score.

Now, of course, quality scores can be impacted by changes you make, an easy way to check that is to go through your account's change history. But take also into account that a quality score is calculated based on how your ad performs (CTR, relevance & landing page) compared to the average for that keyword. It might also be that your competitors are getting better over time and thus increasing the average. (eventually lowering your QS)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Faye, further to Ken's excellent reply, I'd just add that it's not uncommon to see Quality Scores fluctuate over time, especially sometimes when reporting (as you appear to be) on an overall Account basis.

Quality Score is not a fixed attribute but is rather calculated for each and every auction that a Keyword is eligible to enter.  Since QS is made up of many factors, it's quite possible that some of those factors will be outside your control such as competitor bidding or even just seasonality.  For example, CTR is a primary factor of QS so anything that impacts CTR will usually impact QS and that might be something as unexpected as the weather or a prominent news article.

I wouldn't personally describe a change from 6 to 4.9 as a "nosedive", especially in the context of a single days' reporting.  Do all you can, of course, to examine the likely causes - and Ken's advice is good here - but I'd caution against making too many (or any!) changes without more long term data and good background reasoning.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Faye C,

Check the status bubble for your keywords. I have also noticed drops from 10 to 7 for many keywords. This was exclusively to a re-evaluated "Landing page experience = below average" while before it was "above average".