4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score for Broad Match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have read that kw quality score is only affected by exact match.  I'm just trying to make sure I have his correct.

Let's say I only have one keyword "t-shirts".  If I set it to broad match, the only think that will affect my quality score is when someone searches for the exact match "t-shirts".  If someone does a search for "red t-shirts", my ad will come up but this will not affect my qs in any way?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Quality Score for Broad Match

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, you are correct. Here's another example by by the Googler who said this sentence:

" All keywords regardless of match type have quality scores; however, only when activity is coming from a search for exactly the keyword text will this be used to determine a keyword's quality score.

For example, if you have the broad match keyword 'hot dog' only searches for 'hot dog' will factor into QS. A search for 'Chicago-style hot dog' would not factor into the quality score for the broad match keyword 'hot dog.' I hope this helps clarify!"

Read the full discussion, here:https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Online-Marketing-Courses-MOOCs/Uncovering-Quality-Score/td-p...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, you are correct. Here's another example by by the Googler who said this sentence:

" All keywords regardless of match type have quality scores; however, only when activity is coming from a search for exactly the keyword text will this be used to determine a keyword's quality score.

For example, if you have the broad match keyword 'hot dog' only searches for 'hot dog' will factor into QS. A search for 'Chicago-style hot dog' would not factor into the quality score for the broad match keyword 'hot dog.' I hope this helps clarify!"

Read the full discussion, here:https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Online-Marketing-Courses-MOOCs/Uncovering-Quality-Score/td-p...

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

@Tommy D wrote:

Let's say I only have one keyword "t-shirts".  If I set it to broad match, the only think that will affect my quality score is when someone searches for the exact match "t-shirts".  If someone does a search for "red t-shirts", my ad will come up but this will not affect my qs in any way?

Thanks

------------------

In addition to @Ahmed Ali's answer

So that there is no confusion about Quality Scores.  There is a Recent White Paper released by Google 

Settling the (Quality) Score Using Quality Score to Guide Optimizations

QS includes  ad relevance, expected CTR and landing page experience.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tommy D,

This is both true and false!

True: When you are looking at the QS in the AdWords UI, that QS is based on exact match for all match types.

False: If someone does a search for "red t-shirts", ....will not affect my QS in any way.

Quality Score is calculated each and every time it is used or displayed. When someone searches for "red t-shirts", a QS will be calculated for your broad match and phrase match keyword t-shirts. The exact match keyword, t-shirts, would not be eligible. This QS is never shown to you, but it is used.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, petebardo. That is something I didn't realize. How about this? What if a close variant triggers an exact match keyword? Does that affect the score of that keyword, even though it wan't put in exactly as it's listed?

I'm wondering because I have a keyword that is giving me 2% CTR, but when a close variant triggers that keyword, I'm only getting .35%.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Tommy D,

I can't give you a definite "yes" on this, but I would assume that to be the case. It's a matter of "relevance", so if the close-variant under-performs the exact match phrase, I would certainly expect it to have a lower QS. Check the average position of your ad for the close variant.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords