AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score dropping --- why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm feeling close to being defeated by AdWords.  I just don't get it.

A month ago, I created a campaign for a little specialty cake bakery.  For the first day or so, I tried broad match.  That produced terrible results - I got thousands of impressions, and very few clicks.  So the second day, I switched it to modified broad match, tweaked things up, and put in a bunch of negative keywords.  Since then, my overall CTR has been 5.5%, which I'm told isn't that bad.

When I first started, my quality scores were all around 6 or 7.  After the first day, the bad day, they dropped to 4 and 5.  I figured that once I fixed the problem, and started getting the 5.5% CTR, the quality scores would start rising again.  Not so.  They just kept dropping.  It says "keyword relevance: poor" on pretty much all my keywords.  It has no problems with my landing page quality or load time.

Here's a typical keyword with QS 3/10: +custom +cakes.  Here's the ad text that goes with that:

Custom Cakes: Ask us for a cake in any shape, any style: use your imagination!

And, the landing page that goes with that: sugarnspires.com/index-custom-cakes.php

Frankly, I just don't get it.  The keywords seem relevant to me, as a human, and if it's using CTR to judge, 5.5% seems plausibly good.

The problem is that once the QS drops to 2/10, the ads stop showing, and even a bid of $15 doesn't reactivate them.  I can't afford $15 per click under any circumstances.  So basically, a score of 2 means the keyword is lost to me forever.  I am afraid that it's only a matter of days until all my keywords are at a 2, and the whole thing is over permanently.

I have no idea what to do.  I could conceivably try tweaking the ads to get the CTR even higher, but I sincerely doubt I can get them that much higher in the couple of days I appear to have left before it shuts me down forever.

One theory I have is that the thousands of impressions I got on that first day when I had it set up wrong are weighing me down.  If that's the case, I don't know what to do.  I am getting about 8 impressions per keyword per day - not my fault, it's just not a high volume business.  But at that rate, I'm never going to "drown out" the thousands of bad impressions I got on that first day.

I simply have no idea what's going on or what to do.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score dropping --- why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Oh, one more piece of information: in the 'Opportunities' tab, under 'Analyze Competition', drilling down from category 'Food' into the category 'Cakes and Cupcakes', it shows me in the bottom 20% of CTR, and it shows my CTR as 1.3.  But my CTR isn't 1.3%, my Total - Search (All Time) is 2.0%, and if I narrow to the keywords I have enabled, it's 5.5%.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Jyelon,

I think the main reason in dropping the quality score of keywords is your landing page. I checked your landing page (http://sugarnspires.com/index-custom-cakes.php) and it don't have any kind of content. It would be better if write relevant, fresh, unique and comprehensive content for landing page. More relevant will be content to your keywords and ad text better will be quality score. 

Kindly read How do i create hight quality landing page for better understanding.

Regards,

Dinesh

Dinesh
My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Do the other experts concur?  The landing page is the reason for the "Keyword Relevance: Poor"?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The content of the landing page is most certainly not enough to convince AdWords that your page/website is matching up with your keywords. Readable text is misssing !

It would help a lot if you would implement the normal SEO stuff like unique

• <titles>,
  • H1-H4,
  • Meta Descriptions,
  • Alt txt,
  • Readable body copy.

on your landing page   (and all of your other pages)

Use your keywords in all above mentioned, but don't over do it !  (Read your txt loud  and see if it still sounds good Smiley Happy

This will not only improve you QS but also will help you to make your website score higher in Organic Search.

The [ "Landing Page"  no problems with quality ] notification is about the technical status of your Landing Page, not the relevance to the keywords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That makes me sad...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Advice should make you happy. It gives you the opportunity to improve  !

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It makes me sad because this is a website for a visual artist.  The goal is to show off the art.  I can't do that with words: it requres images.  Pointless verbiage just gets in the way.  Replacing some of that imagery with blah-blah-blah would detract from the website.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The problem is that Google has no way of assessing relevance in situations when all there is on a page is an image (or more).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I understand.  I'll create a page that has stuff for the human on top, and stuff for the algorithm underneath.  It won't be hidden text -- I know adwords doesn't like hidden text -- it just won't be as prominently placed as the images.