Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score and the Display Network Question

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a question about quality score and the display network and I'm hoping someone knows the answer.  According to this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en quality score is partially based on your account-wide CTR.  It says your quality score is based on:

Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account

Does that mean running ads on the display network, where CTR is typically much lower, hurts your quality score overall?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score and the Display Network Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Wolf359, no, Google is well aware that CTR on the GDN is much lower than Search and has appropriate algorithms to take this into account.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Wolf359,

Google takes the relative CTR of the ads and keywords into account. This means that although your CTR will be low on the display network, so will everybody else's so this shouldn't negatively impact your quality score.

Best of luck!

Rob

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Wolf359

Note: With display network CPM campaigns Quality Score is based on the quality of your landing page.
http://support.google.com/adwords/agency/answer/10215?hl=

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.  I'm assuming you are all correct, and I think it's pretty unlikely that you aren't.  However, being effected by "the overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account" still makes me nervous.  Can anyone point to something official that directly addresses this?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Wolf,

RE your question:

Can anyone point to something official that directly addresses this?

The short answer from me on that is no; but Jon (Cobnut) and I have both been told in person by Google engineers that relative CTR is a definite factor and not to worry too much about account wide CTR anymore. It used to be a big issue, but for the reasons you raise, Google realised it was not the best way.

Again, that's not an 'official line' but it's as close as one can get on 'murky' QS issues. There possibly is an official statement from Google floating around the web somewhere, but I don't know of one... 

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
To be even more specific, QS is based on data from Google's own search engine, not the so-called search partners.

While the link does say that account-wide CTR affects QS (account history), I've never observed this. My guess is it's a very little weight and thus nothing to worry about or they mean at the group level which makes more sense.

QS on the display network is a very different calculation. If you use keywords for display campaigns, the QS shown is for the search network and is basically irrelevant for display. The real quality number you should look at is Relative CTR at the campaign level. The average is 1.0 so you want it above that number.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Lucid,

All good and interesting points... 

Could you expand on this point? 

"The average is 1.0 so you want it above that number."

I ask purely out of interest and wanting to learn!

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Jack, that does put my mind at ease a bit. I have an account right now with a good CTR and great quality scores. Dropping that CTR to 0.15% (or something) with the GDN just makes me a little nervous. Thank you for responding.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@jackportersmith

I like how this article explains how to interpret metrics for the Display network :

http://www.ppchero.com/understanding-relative-ctr/