2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score and Match Types

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I have a question that I wanted to make sure I had the answer to right.

If i have a campaign and let's say I have one ad group with the keyword "web design" and it's targeted to the city of Chicago.  This keyword on phrase has a Quality Score of 6.  When I add [web design chicago], it has a quality score of 8. I understand why the exact match keyword has that score but I had 2 questions:

1. What is the point of adding the exact match keyword since it's technically "covered" by the phrase match keyword?

2. If I didn't add [web design chicago] to my account and a person went to Google and typed in web design chicago my ad would trigger due to having "web design" on phrase. In that case, would I have a quality score in this auction of 8 or of 6?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score and Match Types

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Joy,

I would not say that it has QS of 8 because of exact match, but because of higher relevance.

1) The point is that if some of your competitors in Adwords will have this word in exact match, it will always win on behalf of your keyword in phrase match.

2) Quality Score changes/is calculated only when someone searches the exact phrase.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Re: Quality Score and Match Types

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Joy and welcome;

In the classic bidding strategy, most advertisers will bid higher on exact match, lower on phrase, and the lowest on broad.

The keyword which triggers the ad is the one with the highest ad-rank. Thus, if  a search query exactly matches the keyword, you, naturally, want to bid higher on that keyword - to try and achieve (in the auction) a higher position.

As to your other question: QS is primarily a CTR. The higher the CTR, the higher the QS. Hence, it's  important  to pause keywords with many impressions,  which are not clicked.

Having said that; remember that  QS is a relative score. (Generally speaking, without the nuances, relative to other advertisers bidding on the same KW.) So, in competitive verticals it is hard to get a QS above average, due to the intense competition, (which statistically "shifts"  most  advertisers to the average range).

-Moshe

PS: hasn't the Google places help forum renamed "Google me Business helps"?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’