AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score Went Down & Went Up with same keyword metrics. Why?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a keyword in my adgroup with the following metrics

The keyword was added in adgroup on 1st Dec 2014 as it is as follows:

Search Volume 140, Competition - High, Suggested Bid - 2.56

keyword QS - 7
Exp CTR - above average
Ad relvn - average
Landing page exp - average

On 8th Dec it become as follow

Search Volume 140, Competition - High, Suggested Bid - 2.56

keyword QS - 6
Exp CTR - above average
Ad relvn - average
Landing page exp - below average

On 23rd Dec it become as follow

Search Volume 110, Competition - High, Suggested Bid - 2.35

keyword QS - 7
Exp CTR - above average
Ad relvn - average
Landing page exp - average

I just want to know how does this happen, the QS first went from 7 - 6 and now again from 6 -7 how?

As it was showing below landing pg exp with QS 6, now it is showing avg landing page exp with QS7

Note: I didn't change any bid nor edited landing page.

The CTR for the keywords from 1st Dec till 25th Dec is 1.21% with average position - 4.1 for dec till now

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score Went Down & Went Up with same keyword metrics. W

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Chris,

A slight fluctuation in Quality score isn't something to worry about, specially in the initial days of a keyword. It is quite possible that Google's ad bot learned about better relevance in your landing page and hence the difference in QS.
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

Sumanth is right here. Slight fluctuation can be seen in visible QS. As you know that the QS is calculated every time when you perform search on Google and your ads appear on the SERP.

It calculates QS based on search terms relevancy with landing page, ad text and your keywords of the account. Apart from its consider the device.

Due to this you are facing fluctuated Visible QS.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, If it is so. Then tel me how it went to from 7 - 6 with below average landing pg exp. Now it went from 6 -7 with average landing page exp. Does Google get confuse about relevance. And if Google Ad bot learned about relevance later then why it decreased the quality score?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Rakesh,

I want to know does quality score depends upon the name of Adgroup? I mean if I launched a new keyword with name similar or quite similar to Adgroup name. Does it impacts QS? Does creating keywords relevant to adgroup name impacts QS?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Chris,

There are a couple of things to note in this case. The initial & actual quality score and performance of that keyword for the given period. When you added the keyword on Dec 1, an initial quality score of 7 was assigned to it. This is calculated based on historical performance of the keyword across Google, not specific to its performance in your account. Its actual quality score is calculated when the keyword starts accruing clicks.

If the keyword performance (CTR predominantly) is more than the industry average, quality score is maintained or increased. If not, it takes a dip. That being said, it is important to note that the data being looked at is quantifiable. For instance: 10% CTR can result from 10 impressions - 1 click as well as 5000 impressions - 500 clicks, but there's a significant difference in terms of performance.

Quality score fluctuation you're experiencing, is a possible transition from historic performance to account specific performance; as quality score has increased with a corresponding increase in landing page relevance.

I'd look at the bigger picture in terms of performance and think of ways to increase CTR (quality score eventually), as slight fluctuations in quality score are quite normal in the initial days. I'd recommend reading this post for a better understanding of quality score.

Hope that clarifies Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
AdGroups and campaigns name donot impact QS. It only consider the relevancy and theme of the keywords that you are putting in your AdGroups.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’